Gibson Brands Forums

Hi, I just bought an epi sheraton, I want a beatle sound. What kind of amp should I buy?

luispeedway

My guitar is an epi sheraton II, I want a "beatle" kind of sound, you know, from "sgt. pepper's" to "revolver". I don't know so much about amps (as I've just played acoustics all my life long). I just play at home, so I've thinking about a 30w amp, maybe marshall or vox, could anyone please recommend me one? Thanks!

I'm not entirely familiar with the Beatles, bohemian rhapsody had some nice overdrive and clean.

I use a modded Valve Junior half-stack (5 watt) with a 12AX7 and EL84 JJ, and a BitMo Trio mod applied. I've gotten a damn nice acoustic sound out of my Les Paul with some settings on the Trio mod (pull gain, voice 'Mo', tone just past half way, volume at like 4, guitar at 3-5, guitar tone at 10) that I can probably fine-tune to sound like the opening parts of Bohemian Rhapsody....

Your guitar is going to have a huge tone impact so any advice I can give you on that amp is going to be invalid :) But, if you're talking about a Marshall tube head, I do recommend the 1x12 speaker cabinet that Epi sells (it came in the half stack...), because that speaker's a 70 watt Lady Luck and it sounds freaking awesome, nice warm tone to it. 5 watt VJ or 30 watt Marshall/Vox, plug it into there, it's 16 ohms.

Stuff they used includes..

* Rickenbacker, Gretsch, Framus, Epiphone, Gibson, Fender, and C.F. Martin & Company guitars

* Höfner, Fender and Rickenbacker basses

* Vox, Fender, and Selmer amplifiers

* Premier and Ludwig drums

* Zildjian, and Paiste cymbals

* Steinway, and Blüthner pianos at the Abbey Road Studios

* C. Bechstein concert grand piano for recording Hey Jude and the White Album tracks Dear Prudence, Honey Pie, Savoy Truffle and Martha My Dear, I Want You (She's So Heavy) for the album Abbey Road, all at the Trident Studios.

* Hammond, Lowrey, and Vox electric organs

* Leslie speaker organ amplification system

* Fender Rhodes and Hohner Pianet electric pianos

* Moog modular synthesiser

* Mellotron polyphonic tape-playback keyboard

* Clavioline electronic keyboard

* Neumann, AKG, and STC microphones

* Studer, 3M, British Tape Recorders, and Ampex tape machines

* Fairchild limiters

* Telefunken microphone preamps

* EMI custom built consoles

Good luck :)

I'm not entirely familiar with the Beatles' date=' bohemian rhapsody had some nice overdrive and clean.

I use a modded Valve Junior half-stack (5 watt) with a 12AX7 and EL84 JJ, and a BitMo Trio mod applied. I've gotten a damn nice acoustic sound out of my Les Paul with some settings on the Trio mod (pull gain, voice 'Mo', tone just past half way, volume at like 4, guitar at 3-5, guitar tone at 10) that I can probably fine-tune to sound like the opening parts of Bohemian Rhapsody....

Your guitar is going to have a huge tone impact so any advice I can give you on that amp is going to be invalid :) But, if you're talking about a Marshall tube head, I do recommend the 1x12 speaker cabinet that Epi sells (it came in the half stack...), because that speaker's a 70 watt Lady Luck and it sounds freaking awesome, nice warm tone to it. 5 watt VJ or 30 watt Marshall/Vox, plug it into there, it's 16 ohms.[/quote']

And that all has what to do with his question??

Stuff they used includes..

* Rickenbacker' date=' Gretsch, Framus, Epiphone, Gibson, Fender, and C.F. Martin & Company guitars

* Höfner, Fender and Rickenbacker basses

* Vox, Fender, and Selmer amplifiers

* Premier and Ludwig drums

* Zildjian, and Paiste cymbals

* Steinway, and Blüthner pianos at the Abbey Road Studios

* C. Bechstein concert grand piano for recording Hey Jude and the White Album tracks Dear Prudence, Honey Pie, Savoy Truffle and Martha My Dear, I Want You (She's So Heavy) for the album Abbey Road, all at the Trident Studios.

* Hammond, Lowrey, and Vox electric organs

* Leslie speaker organ amplification system

* Fender Rhodes and Hohner Pianet electric pianos

* Moog modular synthesiser

* Mellotron polyphonic tape-playback keyboard

* Clavioline electronic keyboard

* Neumann, AKG, and STC microphones

* Studer, 3M, British Tape Recorders, and Ampex tape machines

* Fairchild limiters

* Telefunken microphone preamps

* EMI custom built consoles

Good luck :)[/quote']

Again..... what??

And Bohemian Rhapsody was Queen....

Moving right along... If you don't have the coin for an AC30, I too recommend the AD30VT... I have one, and absolutely love the tone... The modeling is, I believe, the best of the modeling amps available..

I'm utterly flabbergasted that someone could mix up The Beatles and Queen... and most of all, think Bohemian Rhapsody was The Beatles...

But enough of that nonsense...

I would say +1 for the Vox Valvetronix series of amps... The 30 should be good.. Its cheap, sounds excellent, and will more than likely give you the tones you want and anything else you could ever ask for from a 30 watt amp...

But if you're looking for an all-tube amp, ignore what I said and listen to the more knowledgable folks around here such as Spud, Gary, Jerry, Svet, Dane, etc...

Check out Vox. the ac30 is way expensive.

you can modify the epi vj toward a very vox sound.. el84 tubes, single ended.. but I think you'd want to have that done for you.

30 watts solid state is nowhere near 300 watts tubed..

If you're just trying your first electric and beatles tones are what you want to learn.

go for a solid state amp that leans toward vox.

It could be a vox solid state... but generally avoid an 8" speaker.. or less than 30 watts..

(My five watt class A tube amp keeps up with my 100 watt per side stereo.. in fact, I'm louder)

With solid state you will find yourself tiring of the tone a lot sooner if it has a small speaker. Try for a 10"..

AC30s had two.

they didn't play everything clean, but they did a lot of both.. so look for the model with the most variable overdrive/distortion options.

There's a lot of difference between Help and If I needed Someone and Taxman and Revolution and Day Tripper and .....

But it's emphasis is on clean tones.. bright and shimmering... those guitar sounds were made for the mix, if I may venture an opinion.

So Vox it up.

TWANG

Thanks all of you guys for all of your very gentle advices, this is my very first electric and as you can see, I'm kind of dizzy about this whole electric world stuff...anyway, I think I will try a vox, my plan now is buying a 30w vox amp, maybe a valvetronix, and later, when I can afford it, getting an AC30, hope so... Once again, Thanks!

Archived