Gibson Brands Forums

More power to the VJ power amp

The primary will feed that tube fine. The EL34 will kick the amp within a few watts of the output of the Blues Custom in class A. You wouldn't be able to hear the difference in volume, side by side, except that the BC might have a bit more headroom. AB mode on the BC is where you'd definitely hear a difference in volume and headroom, but then you're talking about an entirely different amp, so it's not really a fair comparison.

I agree with you that they should've made a head verison of that amp, but with a name like "Blues Custom," they were obviously aiming at a market that favors combos.

If you are going for clean power and an efficient amp, I believe you should find an old Stromberg-Carlson or similar

military grade PA amp to start with so you can build a class AB amp. I have a 50's era Stromberg-Carlson. The transformers are incredible and the secondary on the OT has taps for almost any ohmage up to 600. I plan to build a nice guitar amp out of this some day. Anyway, just throwing in my .02.

Archived