Gibson Brands Forums

Factory Guidlines & Specs? Is this action too extreme for pro setup?

Chaze

I just received a '56 Epi Goldtop and the factory card shows this action:

12th - L 6 / H 4

1st - L2 / H 1

I always take my guitars to a get a pro setup, but not sure if this looks a little extreme, although

I'm sure it falls within the Epi guidlines. (but is it a the worst end of the guidlines??)

Quite a bit of buzzing out of the box?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The standard action is 6/64ths and 4/64ths for the low and high E, respectively, at the 12th fret. If you're getting buzzes, chances are the neck relief has changed from factory and needs readjustment via the trussrod.

This represents pretty much the lowest action you can expect on a stock Epi with doing a fret level... with a good level I've gotten it down to 3/64 and 2/64 but it's very sensitive to climate changes. But any problems (high frets buzzing for example) that occur with the action at 6 and 4 would be covered by warranty; go below that and it becomes your problem.

Well, that's controlled by the nut. Hopefully yours was set correctly at the factory as it's not readily adjustable. Basically. the way I set it is so that there's a **** hair of clearance over the first fret when you hold down the string at the third fret; on the high E it can almost touch.

Absolutely. According to the Urban Dictionary' date=' it's the second smallest unit of measurement, a term meaning "by a small margin". The smallest unit of measurement is the red **** hair.

That took be back to my engineering days. We used the term RCH (definition understood) quite a bit for those tiny amounts. ;-)

Notes

Absolutely. According to the Urban Dictionary' date=' it's the second smallest unit of measurement, a term meaning "by a small margin". The smallest unit of measurement is the red **** hair.

Funny as hell...almost fell out of my chair...for real rofl....lol

Archived