Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod movement

Ron G

My truss rod isn't fixed in position. I can move it back and forth (in line with the neck) - if it didn't hit the headstock, I'd probably be able to pull it out. I'm pretty sure this is not right. Please advise.

Edit: Apparently, it was under no tension before I adjusted out most of the relief, leaving just a CH. Do these suckers just lie in there or are they supposed to be attached to something?

They are supposed to be attached to something...

If you were adjusting out the relief to give it less relief, you should have been turing it clockwise (tightening the bolt). It would be unusual for it to undo itself while tightening. Hate to say it but it *might* be broke if you were turning it clockwise and now it's loose.

That just doesn't sound right, does it? But I've been fooled by a dual-action rod recently though. Adjustment nut was loose, no apparent adjustment possible etc etc. Luckily I took my time working out what was wrong (it's the first time I've encountered a dual-action rod) and so did no damage - I'm not always that patient. In checking online for information I came across advice that said dual-actions rods can *sometimes* be removed from their grooves. If it's a single-action rod, obviously it needs to be fixed at the other end, but if it's a dual-action rod this might not be the case. Don't know if that helps. Hope you get it sorted.

Bob

If you were adjusting out the relief to give it less relief' date=' you should have been turing it clockwise (tightening the bolt). It would be unusual for it to undo itself while tightening. Hate to say it but it *might* be broke if you were turning it clockwise and now it's loose.[/quote']

It was loose before I adjusted out the relief - it moved toward the bridge when I pushed the hex wrench in, which didn't seem right. Then I was able to pull it toward the headstock until it touched. Now that there's tension on it, it doesn't move.

Archived