Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton repair

I bought a used sheraton, mid 90's maybe (no serial #, sticker mark on back of headstock but no sticker) a few months ago...and it needs a little work. It was really cheap btw. The bridge p'up needs replacing, it just stopped working. So since that needed replacing, I was considering doing a major overhaul if you will. Change all the hard stuff at one go. So I plan to change pickups, both neck and bridge, all electronics, and hardware as well.

I wanted to know your opinions on guitarfetish eletronics? alpha pots, switch and jack. I got some mixed reviews about them so a little more info would be great.

I plan to purchase pickups and hardware from guitarfetish: dream 90's for both bridge and neck, bridge, knobs, etc...

It's the electrical components I'm worried about. Some say they were very similar to stock epi parts and it wouldn't be much of an upgrade; some said they were alright.

I'm thinking about getting all the electronics I need from guitarpartsresource. Solid stuff: CTS pots, switchcraft jack and switch, even a nut.

And another thing i've heard and read about is that CTS pots won't fit through the existing holes on the guitar and you'd have to enlarge them. While alpha pots fit fine. What's the deal with this?

Oh and yeah, I'm new here.

I bought a used sheraton' date=' mid 90's maybe (no serial #, sticker mark on back of headstock but no sticker) a few months ago...and it needs a little work. It was really cheap btw. The bridge p'up needs replacing, it just stopped working. So since that needed replacing, I was considering doing a major overhaul if you will. Change all the hard stuff at one go. So I plan to change pickups, both neck and bridge, all electronics, and hardware as well.

I wanted to know your opinions on guitarfetish eletronics? alpha pots, switch and jack. I got some mixed reviews about them so a little more info would be great.

I plan to purchase pickups and hardware from guitarfetish: dream 90's for both bridge and neck, bridge, knobs, etc...

It's the electrical components I'm worried about. Some say they were very similar to stock epi parts and it wouldn't be much of an upgrade; some said they were alright.

I'm thinking about getting all the electronics I need from guitarpartsresource. Solid stuff: CTS pots, switchcraft jack and switch, even a nut.

And another thing i've heard and read about is that CTS pots won't fit through the existing holes on the guitar and you'd have to enlarge them. While alpha pots fit fine. What's the deal with this?

Oh and yeah, I'm new here.[/quote']

Welcome. One's USA, one's metric. Also, the knobs won't fit on CTS. Alpha pots are fine, and everything will fit.

pots.jpg

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the GFS pickups and a very little bit of bad stuff, most of which turned out to be unsubstantiated. There was an interesting thread on the subject about a week ago but it got deleted, probably because it eventually degenerated into a flame war.

I plan to get a set of GFS pickups for an Epi LP Studio that I'm rebuilding... I'm curious enough about them that I want to see for myself what all the hubbub is about. At the prices they go for, you really can't lose.

Thanks for the pic jerry, answered some of my questions, very helpful. I guess guitarfetish wins.

Rotcanx, I'm in the same boat, I'm getting a pair to see if it works for me.

it's all about personal opinion though right, if you like it, it shouldn't matter that the whole world doesn't

it's all about personal opinion though right' date=' if you like it, it shouldn't matter that the whole world doesn't[/quote']

Hmmmm... yes and no... in the sense that one might prefer the sound of one good pickup over a different good pickup.. say a Gibson Burstbucker over a Seymour Duncan '59 (or vice versa)... but in the case of a bad pickup, it's no longer so much a matter of opinion.

For that strap knob I'd be looking for a black plastic washer large enough to cover the damage.

Hmmmm... yes and no... in the sense that one might prefer the sound of one good pickup over a different good pickup.. say a Gibson Burstbucker over a Seymour Duncan '59 (or vice versa)... but in the case of a bad pickup' date=' it's no longer so much a matter of opinion.

For that strap knob I'd be looking for a black plastic washer large enough to cover the damage.[/quote']

True that....

well I was thinking of maybe a tailpiece to sort of reinforce the area and prevent further damage, thing is the hole is no longer straight, as seen above.

I don't know the right terms for this, so I'll try to be descriptive. Rather than a washer, I was thinking that if you could find something like a 1" brass decorative backing plate (goes behind a drawer or cabinet pull kind of engraved or cast thing). The sunfaces on your guitar strap gave me the idea, because somewhere I've seen a brass thingy that's big enough to not only hide the damage, but possibly spread future stress over a wider area as well. Depending on its mounting, it may even "pull" that dip in the wood back flush. Did that give you a picture? Gawd, its like trying to describe a noise to my mechanic...

I don't know the right terms for this' date=' so I'll try to be descriptive. Rather than a washer, I was thinking that if you could find something like a 1" brass decorative backing plate (goes behind a drawer or cabinet pull kind of engraved or cast thing). The sunfaces on your guitar strap gave me the idea, because somewhere I've seen a brass thingy that's big enough to not only hide the damage, but possibly spread future stress over a wider area as well. Depending on its mounting, it may even "pull" that dip in the wood back flush. Did that give you a picture? Gawd, its like trying to describe a noise to my mechanic...

[/quote']

I think I have an idea, well sorta. The thing I'm thinking about is the butt end of a bigsby or a tailpiece without the trapeze thing or the bigsby. a plate with 2 or 3 screws holding it around the center hole for the pin holding it in place.

Also, I forgot to ask about nuts. What would you guys recommend? I'm thinking bone but I've seen some graphtech tusq nuts and those are new to me. Has anyone tried those?

Archived