Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars to buy... decisions..

bluefoxicy

I'm thinking I may forgo the Slash LP for now because (surprise) my Special II sounds pretty DAMN good these days. The strings sound like crap but it sounds excellent with DRs; I expect the new electronics (pots...) will actually leave it in the "real guitar" realm. (mind you, Graphite nut, Sperzel tuners, DiMarzio pickups, so yeah).

I'm actually thinking, do I want the Slash LP (another Les Paul?), or Ibanez S470DXQM in bright blue? I mean, I KNOW I want the Ibanez, but I like the Slash LP as a guitar too. Hmn. :-

Anyone have good words on Ibanez? Bad words?

Well......the Ibanez S-series is to me a modern heavy metal guitar and the Epiphone Slash Les Paul

more a classic blues and rock machine. Me, i would go for the Slash.

But i like Ibanez guitars also, very well build and original looking and if Vai and Satch like them !!!

Good luck choosing,

Peter

I'm actually thinking' date=' do I want the Slash LP (another Les Paul?), or Ibanez S470DXQM in bright blue? I mean, I KNOW I want the Ibanez, but I like the Slash LP as a guitar too. Hmn. :-

Anyone have good words on Ibanez? Bad words?[/quote']

Almost bought the Ibanez, and I don't even like Ibanez guitars! Somehow I associate Ibanez with one particular kind of music. And I don't like that in a guitar.

Nods. The Ibanez S is said to be able to sound like a Les Paul or a Strat, and play extremely well.

It's also said to be the "heavy metal" guitar though, as you say. I like heavy metal, but really if I want to play classical finger-picked on it I will turn my amp to acoustic and damn well play it (I love my amp...)

Of course, the Slash LP is an awesome guitar, long neck tenon, good after-market pickups, etc. I like the finish too.

I will probably get both EVENTUALLY

I have both an Epi LP and Ibanez. The Ibanez I have is a JS1000 which I wouldnt consider a true heavy metal axe. It more like in the middle. You can set it up to sound like a shred machine or you can set it up to sound almost like a Gibby. The pickups on it have a lot to do with the end result. But of course, there many other factors in choosing. Compared to the JS1000, the Epi has a somewhat "softer" feel on the strings despite having the same gauge strings. The Epi LP definitely has a longer sustain (without using any effects whatsoever on both guitars). Play both guitars and grab the one that best fits your playing style. I personally like the Les Paul style guitar better though. But thats just me. :- GL!

I play many different styles and have never had trouble playing any of them on any guitar. The thing with guitars is entirely personal....which one moves you? Which one feels right in your hands? I have a few and each one sounds and feels different, and I choose which one to play depending on my mood at that moment. The next moment it might be another one. Truely though, if Ihad to settle for just one...And I have before...it doesn't bother me. I can pick up just about any guitar and make something good(to me at least) out of it.

Holy crap a local family owned shop has the blue moon Ibanez S I want, AND the Slash.

That settles that. If they have the S and I like it over the Slash I'll drop the $600 (yes, cheaper than MF) right there and get a case too; if the Slash does me better I'll go next month (I intended a $1000 spending budget for this this month... I bought parts for my amp, was going to wait on the Slash model).

I should scrape by this month with like... at least $1800 on hand, and $500 more in the market. That represents an overall increase of $600 for the month! Yay positive cash flow!

And my parents will be like "Damnit child stop spending money!" :/

I think it really comes down to looks, sound, and feel. Go test em out. Decide which one you think looks better, decide which one you think sounds better, and decide which one you think feels better. Thats they cool thing about guitars is its all a personal choice. I can see where the Ibanez "looks like a metal guitar" and the LP "looks like a classic rock or blues guitar". What you have to decide is which can you see your self in front of people playing. If one makes you feel more like a guitar god then thats the one I'd go with.

What guitars do you already have???? That may factor into your decision.

Does the Ibanez have a floyd or is it a hardtail?

It has a Floyd-Rose derived trem, actually the best trem in existence according to my research... a ball bearing driven one with a stopbar to keep it in perfect tune. I'm not much into trems though, they're great for guitar hero but I need to be able to actually play before it'll be better than my vibrato.

Can a guitar make me a better player? No? Then why's it matter if it has fancy new features!

Think of a guitar as an outlet to what you want to express as well as a motivational object. If you like your guitar and it has the features you want to use, then you will play more and grow as a guitar player. Don't worry about what someone else plays. Too many times I bought a guitar because some rock star played it. Wrong motivation! Choose a guitar that has the body style you like and the features you would like to use. If you can, try the guitars your interested in...sometimes you think you like the way a guitar looks only to find that it feels very wrong for you. Weight has alot to do with it too. I like to play Les Pauls but I wouldn't want to stand with one strapped to me for hours at a time..they are a little heavy... so take into consideration whether you will be performing or (if you are like me) just hanging around making music for yourself and friends. Play the guitars sitting and standing up. You will know what feels right to you.

Think of a guitar as an outlet to what you want to express as well as a motivational object. If you like your guitar and it has the features you want to use' date=' then you will play more and grow as a guitar player. Don't worry about what someone else plays. Too many times I bought a guitar because some rock star played it. Wrong motivation! Choose a guitar that has the body style you like and the features you would like to use..[/quote']

You're right on with that. I like the Slash because it's got a pretty finish (love the reddish-brown back) and it's a Les Paul (I like the shape), plus it's a good guitar in its own right. Nice mahogany body maple top, graphite nut, long neck tenon, pickups, tuners.. it's a guitar, it's a good one.

The Ibanez S... Herman Li plays one, but if I wanted to be Herman Li I'd be grabbing an Ibanez E-Gen. Again, the S is a great guitar from everything I hear (there's a lot of "the Wizard 2 neck is awesome" out there...), and the specs look actually pretty awesome, HSH pickups with a coil tap on them to do SSS mode for a strat sound, a great trem though I'm not sure I can use it properly (yet), I heard the 2008 model has upgraded pickups... It's lighter than a Les Paul, it has a beautiful finish (BLUE MOON BURST ON QUILT TOP!), etc.

It's going to come down to what feels good in my hands and what sounds good. I'm looking at two great guitars.

But then' date=' I'm old, blind and deaf....what the Hell do I know?![/quote']

ALOT! I think money spent on lessons at this point in our posters career would be a far better investment than 2 or 3 mid level guitars with "dimarzio's" which all pretty much sound the same.:-k

Archived