Gibson Brands Forums

LP Junior Blem @ MF

JayGLongBeach

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Junior-Electric-Guitar?sku=517341X

there you go. no interest here. no chance i'd pay that kind of money just a silly gibson name on the head stock.

Whats worse is paint it white and put Billy Joe Armstrong model on it and it's suddenly a $1600 guitar???http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Billie-Joe-Armstrong-Signature-Les-Paul-Jr.-Electric-Guitar?sku=517324&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=32767377

Whats worse is paint it white and put Billy Joe Armstrong model on it and it's suddenly a $1600 guitar???

Although they are both Gibson USA models and the BJA is IMO maybe a bit overpriced' date=' I would be inclined to think the BJA has a bit of [i']something[/i] worth a little extra ... the Junior is/was one of the cheapest ones around and yet the Gibson Custom Shop is capable of doing a reissue for $2500. Something must be different, not just the price.

Well, at least you get a fancy HSC instead of a gig bag :-k

T

Whats worse is paint it white and put Billy Joe Armstrong model on it and it's suddenly a $1600 guitar???

Well' date=' I paid substantially less than that from E.M.Shorts for this one:

[img']http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/garyelcrrt/mine2/billiejoe002.jpg[/img]

And I don't play it often. Not often enough by many people's statements...but this was as close to my dream guitar as I'm ever likely to get. Playing it is a lot like driving a complete custom '34 Ford 5-window coupe to work every day (if only I owned one! Got the Dream Guitar, but not the Dream Car). Its almost sacred to me, in terms of sheer spiritual investment over many years.

But I want one of these, even though I can't afford right now (new Gretsch last week, who knew? But its a fine guitar in its own right). If it is as good a guitar as my Gibson SG Junior, it could easily be brought to anybody's standard of excellence in a player's guitar. People's complaints seem to be mostly based on flaws in fit and finish, and I agree - those things are important - but this is a $700 working guitar, and I'm not of the opinion that a working guitar needs to be cosmetically perfect. Frankly, that's why I have the BJA, to be my personal level of perfection, and allowing me to get on with life so far as the rest of them are concerned. These Juniors remind me of a broken-nosed, ex-fighter who has a voice that's good enough to carry a tune and all he wants to do is "...sing me some of them Down Home Blues..."

T

Well' date=' I paid substantially less than that from E.M.Shorts for this one:

[img']http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/garyelcrrt/mine2/billiejoe002.jpg[/img]

And I don't play it often. Not often enough by many people's statements...but this was as close to my dream guitar as I'm ever likely to get. Playing it is a lot like driving a complete custom '34 Ford 5-window coupe to work every day (if only I owned one! Got the Dream Guitar, but not the Dream Car). Its almost sacred to me, in terms of sheer spiritual investment over many years.

But I want one of these, even though I can't afford right now (new Gretsch last week, who knew? But its a fine guitar in its own right). If it is as good a guitar as my Gibson SG Junior, it could easily be brought to anybody's standard of excellence in a player's guitar. People's complaints seem to be mostly based on flaws in fit and finish, and I agree - those things are important - but this is a $700 working guitar, and I'm not of the opinion that a working guitar needs to be cosmetically perfect. Frankly, that's why I have the BJA, to be my personal level of perfection, and allowing me to get on with life so far as the rest of them are concerned. These Juniors remind me of a broken-nosed, ex-fighter who has a voice that's good enough to carry a tune and all he wants to do is "...sing me some of them Down Home Blues..."

Gary I agree completely regarding the classic design of the JR just like a '34 Ford....it's a beautiful simple functional design. What I don't understand is the idea that "refinements" in the design of a slab of mahogany with a stop tail piece and a p-90 can be worth $1000 in the price of the guitar? I think either the $700 guitar is a good deal...or the $1600 is over-priced...or both. Jr's are alot like tele's to me...very simple functional design's that are truely timeless....probably 2 of the best solid body guitar design's of all time IMHO.

Archived