Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Jr and 112 cabinet

BBill

a "Y" cord would work fine... I'm running a VJ Combo with 2 homemade cabs (old combo amps I gutted and made into speaker cabs) - a 10" and a 12" - I'm "Y" cording them and using the 8-ohm output. Now I'm looking for EMINENCE speakers on Ebay for them as the Eminence in my V3 combo is so FINE!

You can run as many speakers as you want, as long as the final load matches whatever hole you plug them into on the back of the amp. Parallel pairs equals half the impedence of one of the pair. Series is double. In other words, 2x8 ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohms.

You can use a y cord, but that's going to be your weak link. They're typically not very robust cables, and frankly, there's a reason why they're not the "industry standard" solution for cabling multiple cabs. You're better off with parallel jacks on the cabinets, to be honest.

One of the things I like about the BH Little Giant head is that there are parallel jacks for the 4 ohm and 8 ohm outputs so you can plug in two 8 ohm cabs into the parallel 4 ohm jacks and two 16 ohm cabs into the 8 ohm jacks. The BH sounds *huge* through two 12" speakers.

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/BH_stack.jpg

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/VJ_stack.jpg

When I get a chance, I'm going to build a parallel jack box to use with my VJ and two 1x12 cabs. One input jack wired to two parallel output jacks. Much sturdier than the Y cables.

tung

if you have a y cable it's wired either series or parallel..

plug it into both cabs and measure ohms from tip to ring, then plug it into the appropriate ohm output jack on the amp.

when he hits his switch it goes from 8 to 16 ohms, series to parallel at the switch.

so he can plug in two 16 ohm speakers, without a y cable, each cabinet using it's own cable.

You can add a jack to one of your two cabinets, and wire the existing jack to it so that when you connect it, as output to the other cabinet,

you have 8ohms. two sixteen ohm stock epi lady luck speakers wired in parallel..

so you go out of the amp, at 8ohms, into cab one, out of that into cab two. cabs are 16 ohm wired in parallel, giving 8ohms.

Is that assuming that I am using 'Y" cable from the amp to the cabinets? Thanks

I wouldn't personally use one of those myself. They're typically very flimsy, and not of sufficient gauge for speaker cable. At best, the tone will suffer, at worst, it fails while the amp is under load and you fry the output transformer. Neither option is worth it, imo, especially when it's so blindingly simple and cheap to do it right. Install an extra jack (switchcraft...don't use those cheapie Chinese jacks), wired in parallel, on each cabinet. Make yourself two speaker cables out of 16 gauge zip and switchcraft or neutrik plugs, and you're golden. Forget the flimsy y cables.

That is a beautiful thing. I have on of them just laying around and never thought about using it. I have 2 1x12" cabinets, one has a Lady Luck in one and a Celestion in the other. I use the Celestion for when I am using my PODxt effects only, and the Lady Luck with the amp and cabinet modeling on because of it's flat response. Now I can use both at the same time without having to make any wiring changes=d> .

Archived