Gibson Brands Forums

New Song added on MySpace - Lots of Epis

Vic Flick

I've been working on some songs for the past few weeks, and I just added one to my my my my MySpace page (link below). It's an instrumental called Don't Stop and it should auto play when you go to MySpace page.

Here's the breakdown on the guitars used for the leads:

First lead Yamaha APX700

Second lead Epiphone Elitist SG (Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup)

Third lead GFS Xavier Tele

Fourth lead Fender Jaguar Baritone doubled with an Epiphone Elitist Riviera 12-string

Fifth lead Epiphone SG Jr. P-90 slide guitar

The bass was an Epiphone Allen Woody, all the slide work was done on the SG Jr. The Pipeline style low notes were played on an Epiphone Lucille with GFS Mean 90s. Other guitars used were a Rickenbacker 370, Ibanez George Benson GB-10 and a Jay Turser Colonel.

The drum/percussion is just a basic bass/snare track (drum machine), I plan on working on that next. Maybe a couple more guitar fills, possibly some light keyboards, and that's it.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome. Enjoy.

Sounds great. Makes me want to get off my butt and back into the studio. Thanks

Very nice Jerry! I particularly liked the tele and SG leads. Liked the sound of the slide as it faded out.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I used the first lead to establish the melody, and I wanted the second (SG) to be totally opposite. Originally, I planned the Tele lead to be more of a James Burton-ish chicken pickin' countryfied style, but it just didn't sound right to me. I think it turned out more Rock-a-billy than country. The fourth lead was intended to return to the melody with a Ventures feel. My first band actually was an instrumental group that played all the Ventures stuff, and this is like revisiting my early influences.

And I should mention that Nokie Edwards and the Ventures were recently inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and it's about time!!!

Hey Jerrymac' date='

I know you said you use a drum track but I was wondering. What recording equipment do you use? The sound comes through very full and clean. [/quote']

I have a computer that's pretty much set up for recording. I don't have it connected to the net, so it doesn't get bogged down. My main recording/mixing software is Cakewalk Sonar Producer, and I use Sonic Foundry Sound Forge for the final mix. The computer has a SB Live input device that has all the connections and controls needed. It fits in a regular drive bay:

sblive.jpg

I use a Line 6 Guitar Port to input the guitars, it has all kinds of amp samples built in. I haven't recorded from an amp since I got it a few years ago.

I used to use a midi keyboard for drumming, but now I have one of those midi drum kits, it has a built in drum machine as well, this will be the first time I'm using it. I also have a real snare, tambourine, bongo, maracas that I mix in with the midi drums.

I have a Roland interface for my midi guitar (a Godin), that's another new toy.

Hey Jerry' date='

No wonder you've been quiet on the forum these past weeks...

Amazing sounds!!! Very Cool!

Jay[/color']

I made a New Years Resolution to myself to get off my butt as Willy put it. I find that as I get older, I can't multi task as well as I used to I really have to stay focused on one thing or nothing gets done. But I'm still here.

And thanks for the kind words.

It's an instrumental called Don't Stop and it should auto play when you go to MySpace page.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome. Enjoy.

Is there such as thing as owning too many guitars? Especially all those Epiphones! I counted 16 of them!

What is the next level above GAS?

=D>

Anyway, thats a pretty good effort on the new track (Don't Stop), some nice repetitive riffs, but it

sounds like you're playing a Gretsch to my ears? Must be the equalizer setting on the recording?

Jay Walking....right out the 60s Ventures album..cool!

Is there such as thing as owning too many guitars? Especially all those Epiphones! I counted 16 of them!

What is the next level above GAS?

:^o

Anyway' date=' thats a pretty good effort on the new track (Don't Stop), some nice repetitive riffs, but it

sounds like you're playing a Gretsch to my ears? Must be the equalizer setting on the recording?

Jay Walking....right out the 60s Ventures album..cool!

[/quote']

Thanks Carver. No Gretschies, although I did use a Jay Turser Colonel (White Falcon copy) for one of the tracks. My Setzer needed to be restrung, and I had just finished setting up the Colonel with GFS Retrotron pickups so I used that. That's probably the Gretschy sound you hear. That resides in the left channel, and there's a Rickenbacker that sort of mirrors it in the right channel. The Rick is pretty twangy as well.

I should finish Jay Walking, I have the end completed but I'm still searching for the middle part.

And I should mention that Nokie Edwards and the Ventures were recently inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame' date=' and it's about time!!![/quote']

Do they still play or get together? I remember that album..there was a girl in a gold lame

suit that I recollect..vaguely..she was just posin'. Of course Walk don't Run written

J. Smith is one of my favourites. Their use of the Strat whammy bars really impressed

me back then, because it added that special characteristic to their sound, which was

very unique.

I can't remember the other ones on that album..did they do Tequila?

Absolutely. If it wasn't for your post' date=' I wouldn't have got the Junior. And it just seemed like the perfect slide guitar, it got me interested in playing slide again.[/quote']

That rules. I really love mine too. Do you have any cool pics of it after you fixed her up? Really Jerry that slide on that track is great! O:)

Jerry' date=' can you post pics of all the guitars you used on the recordings? ............J[/quote']

Here's the Fender Baritone, Rick 370, Epiphone Lucille, Riviera 12-string, Jay Turser Colonel (since sold), Ibanez George Benson and the bottom photo has the SG Junior I used for slide & the Elitist SG. I don't have photos of the Yamaha 12-string or the Xavier Tele, I'll take some tomorrow.

l_090d06ad131e679e7d59a2761eefc9d3.jpg

l_a52c3ed6c44357ffe38b88da2d44f337.jpg

l_0fa6864e0e1d26c8248e334d4c1cb4a1.jpg

l_ceebc6b61141dae0c8aedfcc6510ad93.jpg

l_22dd19ee8590dcdc27010ba6cdc6b196.jpg

l_197d3121db776710c95536929efcf5dc.jpg

solidProjectsJr.jpg

Thanks Carver. No Gretschies' date=' although I did use a Jay Turser Colonel (White Falcon copy) for one of the tracks. My Setzer needed to be restrung, and I had just finished setting up the Colonel with GFS Retrotron pickups so I used that. That's probably the Gretschy sound you hear. That resides in the left channel, and there's a Rickenbacker that sort of mirrors it in the right channel. The Rick is pretty twangy as well.

I should finish [i']Jay Walking[/i], I have the end completed but I'm still searching for the middle part.

Thanks for posting the pics. I'm less than two hours from you and would like you to tweak my LP and maybe I could help you with the middle of "Jay Walking". PM me and let me know...........J

Archived