Gibson Brands Forums

Travel Guitar and Amazing Slow Downer

lindmxm

I've been looking for a nice, affordable, well made travel guitar. My work takes me out of town occasionally and I can't always take my Casion or Sheraton, so I need something that I can take on a plane as a carry-on. Just something to strum on at the hotel in the evening. Any suggestions? I've been looking at a $95 Galveston Left Handed Travel Electric Guitar, Jet Black Finish, Maple Neck , Rosewood Fingerboard, Bolt-on Neck & Body, 24 Frets , 25" Scale Length ,1 1/16" Nut Width, 3~R & 3~L Peghead Tuners, Sealed Die-Cast Tuners , Chrome Hardware, Small Cutaway Body, Bridge P/U: Humbucker P/U, Vintage Style "Stop" Tailpiece, Tune-O-Matic Style Adj. Bridge, Adjustable Tone Control, Seperate Volume Control, 5 1/2" Upper Bout, 12 1/2" Lower Bout, 32" Overall Guitar Length, Adjustable Truss Rod and Deluxe Padded Gig Bag.

Has anyone ever tried one of these? If so, how does it sound?

Also, I just purchased the software, Amazing Slow Downer. Has anyone else given this a try yet? If so, any comments?

I've been using the Amazing Slowdowner for several years now. I know there are other programs like it that work as well, but this is the one that I bought. It is a great tool for either learning a solo or just practicing with. Sometimes we do songs in different keys, so I just adjust to the key we play in and practice away.

The notes stay on pitch, but the vocals do sometimes get a little weird, depending on how much you change the key.

The same is true with slowing down a solo, sometimes the notes sound a little funny depending on how much you slow it down, but they stay on pitch.

The one down side for me is in changing keys. I wished I could just arrow up or down by step or half-step rather than moving the bar. All in all it is well worth the money. I think I paid $45 for mine.

Another thing I do is cut the solos I am learning out of the song so that is all I hear. I fade them in and out, then I can loop them forever. Makes praticing much fun and productive. I use Sound Forge to do this, but there are other programs as well.

You might try something like this -- started out as a Olympia Electric Baby Papoose, but I gutted the electronics because of the nasty hum from the built-in "Overdrive" and headphone amp. Really pathetic. Installed SD Custom 5 and RS Guitarworks PRS pre-wired kit. Works great, not much larger than a tennis racket -- and with my Vox Amplug AC30 and a set of headphones, travel no longer bothers me. Note, please - this neck length is perfect for playing in bed...

Papoose001.jpg

Archived