Gibson Brands Forums

The bad news and the good news (Update)

Ron G

Well, the loose (but not broken) truss rod (see other thread) very much appears to be a factory defect. The good news is that my "2nd" is, indeed covered under the warranty. Soooooooooooo.... I'll soon be shipping my Dot Studio back. And since the cost of repairing a truss rod is quite probably beyond the value of this particular guitar, I expect that I'll be sent a replacement. It'll probably be a while but I'll keep you posted about how well Gibson/Epiphone handles warranty returns.

Nothing unusual there. MF orders these things by the assload, and besides, you stated that it was a second, which means there is the possibility that it was sold once, returned for some reason, then marked as a second and re-stocked.

We had a similar thing happen at the store with a Les Paul Studio. What happened was the boss accidentally ordered a duplicate Les Paul Studio in cherry and since we already had one on the wall we just kept it in the stock room. The first one sold in 2007 (not a lot of demand for Epi Studios) and so I figured it's time to put the second one up... which turned out to be not the same colour after all (wine red instead of cherry)... but with the time spent at the distributor's warehouse, then in our stock room, turns out it's a 2005 EE model... which just sold last weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Haven't sent it back yet because I'll be away on vacation next month and don't want to risk not being home if the replacement arrives while I'm away.

Meanwhile, what I thought was an off-center neck pickup (another thread) turns out to be an off-center bridge and/or a crooked neck. I can see where the strings aren't parallel with the fingerboard, with an easily visible difference in the distance between the E strings and the edge of the fingerboard at the base of the neck, as well as the misalignment with the pole pieces.

The replacement better be better than this one

Archived