Gibson Brands Forums

LP Pee Wee Modifications for Son

Rell32

O:) Hi, sorry to bother everyone but, my 11 yr old son has a Les Paul Pee Wee that I would like to modify to a "standard" tuning. The size of the Pee Wee's neck makes this impossible. He is small and really loves the Pee Wee but, would like to learn standard cord fingerings. Where can I buy an inexpensive replacement neck to retrofit it? I was told that a bolt on Junior neck would work. Please where can I buy a "cheap" but good one? I would also like to upgrade the pickups for him, any suggestions?

Thanks

If you tune ADGCEA, you will be able to use the same fingerings to produce a chord as if you had a guitar tuned EADGBE and never played below the fifth fret. Its the same thing as playing a lot of barre chords, except I don't have to barre the 5th fret for any chord. Of course, the cowboy chords are all in frets 6, 7 and 8, now, same as using a capo. I think it teaches you the upper fretboard better than tuning a short-neck guitar to a lower pitch and duplicating the "comfortable" end of a guitar.

Edit - OK, I think I counted that right this time.

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys

i just got this guitar for my son to mess around with more then anything

however the strings that were on it didn't tune or stay tune easy

after reading here i put some 12 on it and it tunes BUT

the 3rd string (3rd from the bottom) says its in tune with a electric tuner but it doesn't sound right

i tested the tuner with my fender strat and both the strat and pee wee say its in tune

any ideas how to fix it or what might be going on??

thanks a lot

The tuner tells you whats perfect. You tune there' date=' then adjust from there for the individual guitar's idiosyncrasies. Play a couple chords the way the tuner says, adjust the way your ears say and play the same couple chords. Better or worse? Now you know whether to believe your ears or the tuner.

[/quote']right but whats not making sense to me is that 2 guitars are both saying they are in tune but they sound totally different

the peewee sounds "wrong" and thew strat sounds perfect

i don't know how they can be in tune and not sound the same or even close to it

I would suggest getting him a Lp-100 or Special II or a Jr. inexpensive but the sooner he graduates to full size the better. Most of here started on full size guitars because there were no other options then. You won't spend any more money that way that trying to fit a Pee Wee with pups and a neck, and possible other harware to make it work effectively.

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking a longer neck will really throw the intonation off...

You might want to consider replacing the wraparound bridge with a Schaller tune-o-matic if you are that serious about the thing. I bet the wraparound is not going to work properly on the PeeWee's 22" scale since the compensation (that lumpy raised zigzag thing on the top) on it was designed with a 24.75" scale in mind.

Archived