Gibson Brands Forums

Special II alnico... wait what?

bluefoxicy

Epiphone lists special 2 les pauls as coming with alnico V open coil humbuckers.

I just cracked mine open to steal the magnet (they're full of wax) and ... um. It's black. Is Alnico black? I'm not sure what this stuff is... it looks like ceramic.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Parts/5/Humbucker_Pickup_Parts.html

I might buy 2 of these and dump them in my DiMarzio DP161 pickups. They're pretty dark grey, maybe I'm looking at alnico and don't understand it. I can't get the magnet out either. And it's chipped rough in one corner.

Epiphone lists special 2 les pauls as coming with alnico V open coil humbuckers.

I just cracked mine open to steal the magnet (they're full of wax) and ... um. It's black. Is Alnico black? I'm not sure what this stuff is... it looks like ceramic.

It depends whether you are looking at is possibly the black tape covered humbucker coils or the actual bar magnet located in underneath the middle of both coils on a humbucker.

What you are probably seeing is ceramic which is a black-ish sintered powdered form and pressed into

shape under tons of pressure to make a specific magnet shape, then processed to produce a more powerful

magnetifc field than the Alnico process. The colour is usually a greyish-black and used almost exclusively

for speaker magnets these days.

AlNiCo II or V are usually greyish in appearance and are cast then processed electrically in a magnetic field

to get their magnetic properties. Alnicos "age" normally, so some of the older 50 year + guitars have a more

mellower sound.

Those guys are either propagating Epiphone's goof (they make these errors on a regular basis and the catalogs and the web site don't always agree either) or else they introduced the error when they created the listing. Sometimes they take a listing for a different 'similar' guitar and change the details; it's easy to overlook some.

Special IIs definitely have the 650R and 700T ceramic pickups.

Archived