Gibson Brands Forums

nut on a dot

vic1281734035

For what it's worth, the one thing that very few people new to semi-hollow guitars are unaware of is that semi-hollow guitars are very flexible. In other words they bend and tweak rather easily while playing them making them sound out of tune. Now I'm not saying you are tweaking your guitar while you are playing it but do take notice if you are pressing your right forearm against the body while you are playing.

If you think I am April Fooling you just try it. Strum all six strings open then pull the neck and body as it as though you are trying to wrap the guitar around your body...you will find it requires very little effort to distort your instrument.

Sounds like you've got some intonation issues.

If you're willing to spend $100, go to the nearest guy who does the Buzz Feiten tuning system & you'll never have tuning problems again. Kind of pricey, but it solves the problem forever & your guitar will never sound more in tune. I've had it done to three of mine (more to come) and I've even had other people comment on how greatly in tune they sound. I'm a believer, dispite the price. (Fortunately, the guy around here is a friend of mine who gives me a price break).

i recently bought a epiphone dot. like many other dots' date=' [b']it doesn't stay in tune so nicely[/b]. so i bought the sperzel locking tuners. i haven't installed them yet, but i was wandering: will it fix my tuning problems or should i get a new nut?

thanks!

I wasn't being a wise guy what I offered is a real issue.

Now, not to insult you, but always tune a string by increasing tension never decreasing tension. Start with a "flat" pitch and increase the string tension until you are in tune. If you go past the proper pitch (sharp) decrease the tension until the pitch is flat and do it again. The machine heads on tuners are mechanical gears and gears have backlash (slop). The gears will not hold unless the backlash is removed.

What I wrote about tweaking goes hand in hand with this. I watched a so-called Epiphone warranty service tech tune my guitar while he was leaning on the body and then tried to play one chord that was totally off. "Man you got some serious issues going on here" he told me. "You need an Earvana Nut and that'll fix you right up." Like I said I watched him tune my guitar while he was leaning on it. No thanks, I took my guitar and left.

but my problem is that when im tuning the guitar' date=' it doesn't tune right. i have heard that the problem is with the nut or the grover tuners. is that really the problem?[/quote']

Not staying in tune and not tuning properly are two entirely different issues. Please be more specific. Click the following link and read this recent post and replies and please relay if this is your issue.

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1502

It could be the nut but I have my doubts. Look at my Avatar. What is different about my Dot Studio than any others? I replaced the bridge and tailpiece because I had intonation / tuning problems but not staying in tune problems. There is a difference between the two. My Dot now has no mechanical issues what-so-ever. We want to help you but without knowing the actual problem other than "it doesn't tune right" all we can do is offer a plethora of suggestions not solutions.

Epi's factory nut is often cut incorrectly, and sometimes strings bind in the nut while you tune. The tension difference from one side to the other of the nut will equalize while you play -- and, since everybody tunes "up", the string seems to go out of tune and get progressively more sharp while you play. If it goes flat, the problem is more likely to be something else, ranging from tuner/string slip to over-bending either by hand or tremolo or whammy bar (and including bad tuning technique). I routinely replace the nut on every Epiphone I buy with drop-in Gibson replacement from Earvana, just because I've seen so many nuts cut "||||".

Not staying in tune and not tuning properly are two entirely different issues. Please be more specific. Click the following link and read this recent post and replies and please relay if this is your issue.

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1502

It could be the nut but I have my doubts. Look at my Avatar. What is different about my Dot Studio than any others? I replaced the bridge and tailpiece because I had intonation / tuning problems but not staying in tune problems. There is a difference between the two. My Dot now has no mechanical issues what-so-ever. We want to help you but without knowing the actual problem other than "it doesn't tune right" all we can do is offer a plethora of suggestions not solutions.

i think i had both problems. i stopped pressing my forearm so hard on the guitars body and the intonation problems are gone. but the tuning problem is still there. i tried tuning the strings by increasing tension just like you said, but didn't make much a diference. i'll replace the tuners to see what happens. and thanks for helping me out!

Epi's factory nut is often cut incorrectly' date=' and sometimes strings bind in the nut while you tune. The tension difference from one side to the other of the nut will equalize while you play -- and, since everybody tunes "up", the string seems to go out of tune and get progressively more sharp while you play. If it goes flat, the problem is more likely to be something else, ranging from tuner/string slip to over-bending either by hand or tremolo or whammy bar (and including bad tuning technique). I routinely replace the nut on every Epiphone I buy with drop-in Gibson replacement from Earvana, just because I've seen so many nuts cut "||||".[/quote']

yeah, i heard a lot about that problem...

i think i'll replace the nut, so do you think i should get a bone or a graphite nut?

Since replacing the nut & saddles on a Strat with ones from Graph Tech a few years ago, I'm a big fan. Never had tuning problems, but more importantly I haven't broken a string since installing them.

I've done the same on my Dot. Graph Tech's website will give you all the necessary part numbers when you tell it which guitar you have. A new nut is about $10 and a set of saddles is about $30.

Archived