Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 100

willr

I think we are about to see the end of the LP100's. MF is closing them out. the value kits are all gone. they were on back order, but MF says EPI can't ship any more. Even the guitar page shows closeout (with a price tag higher then the kits were). Wonder if EPI is replacing it with something else?

They're probably dropping it since it's redundant; for the cheap end you have the Special II and once you go beyond that you're pretty much into Studio territory. The LP-100 is and always was kind of pointless.

everything I read here placed the 100 higher on the list of features then the special II correct? So now we have to buy bottom end, or the next hop us is around $3bills?

Well I got the last 100 with the VJ that they sold. We will see if it makes it through Wups.

Well, yeah, the LP-100 is higher, but methinks it's not enough of a diff to be a good seller. I mean, really, two more knobs, solid wood, an arched top and better tuners. It's still the same pickups and neck. In the past five years I've seen one of them and no-one has ever asked for one. Our customers either buy the Special II since it's cheap or else they look at the set neck LPs. Heck you can get a G-400 for $300 these days... which makes me think the G-310 is gonna go soon too.

the g310 is also on the closeout price for a package now, too.

I think the thing was overpriced, but I think it needs to be there, too.

The arched top and full controls are a step up.

I guess they thought it ought to be competitive with the studio.

It's lighter and thinner.. which is not a bad thing.

And it's an uncomfortable spot.. 329.00 for a studio.. 199.00 for an SII.

TWANG

Right now the 100 is $260 Cdn while the Studio is $375. For $115 I'd hold out for a Studio. It's true that the 100 is an improvement over the Special II ($170) but the Studio is a 'real' Les Paul with a close-to-full thickness body and a set neck, Grover tuners, Alnico pickups... i.e., if you close your eyes the 100 basically sounds and feels like a Special but a Studio sounds and feels better.

I think (just a theory here) that the parents will buy the Special II because of the price; those that buy for themselves will get the Studio (or better) because of the features. The 100 just falls between the cracks.

Remember, as far as Gibson/Epiphone is concerned, it's all about sales and the bottom line. If it is dropped, it's because they aren't selling enough of them to justify the hassle of supporting another model. Face it, all the guys that bought these recently only did so because it was practically a freebie ($50) bundled with a good amp.

one thing you have to admit. it's a better guitar for young women.

my studio is near 11lbs and the lp100 is light as a feather by comparison.

I also think that it's a bit better beginner guitar for that reason.

the tone doesn't seem to suffer much, I can plug them both in and compare and except for pickup differences, there's no complaint.

maybe they should have done satin finishes. and marketed it differently. I dunno.

we agree though, it's in a touch niche.

one thing you have to admit. it's a better guitar for young women.

my studio is near 11lbs and the lp100 is light as a feather by comparison.

I also think that it's a bit better beginner guitar for that reason.

the tone doesn't seem to suffer much' date=' I can plug them both in and compare and except for pickup differences, there's no complaint. [/quote']

Everything you say there applies just as well to the Special II... for $90 less.

I'm not trying to denigrate the LP-100 per se; I'm merely pointing out why it would possibly be dropped by Epiphone. As I said, it's a corporate decision and as such the suitability of the guitar has little bearing on the outcome.

...and that is one heavy Studio, dude.

Well I got the last 100 with the VJ that they sold. We will see if it makes it through Wups.

The 100 with VJ showed up at my wifes work location today. She called me and said the box is trashed. She can even see the box that the guitar is packed in without opening anything!

I Guess I better head over there and see if it survived shipping. I already asked MF what they would do in case of the guitar is damaged in shipping. I was worried since I bought the last value kit, my only choice would be to return it for my money back. they said if the guitar is damaged, they would exchange just the guitar.

EDIT: Everything looks fine, and works OK.

Archived