Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid Deal G-310 Sg arrived!

hughes08ALCY

Got the SG in the mail yesterday.. nothing wrong with except the pickup selector knob cap broke.. easily fixed. Valve jr amp is great. guitar sonds great as well, i played everything from clapton/cream to ac/dc and metallica last night. although it took awhile to figure out how to get the correct tone for each song. it plays really well and the action was perfect out of the box. hopefully i wil post pics later tonite when i get home from SU. I was thinking about buying chromed pickup covers for it.. anybody know where i could get a good pair?? thanks

I've really about had it with this polising a turd idea..

I've spent money on my epis and they aren't turds and it wasn't just polishing.

I'm also sick of the idea of an epiphone forum where people think they aren't good guitars, or good enough, somehow.

If you play a guitar you'd call a turd, and if you play a guitar which you can't tailor to your own taste, looks or sound or playability wise,

the you're playing the wrong guitar in the first place.

I'm not!

And I don't think many others here are either.

I'm not going to argue about it. I'm content to say the G310 is a nice little guitar, which ought to last many years, giving good service all the way around.

That's not a turd. A turd is something you flush without a second thought.

I have covers in chrome and from two suppliers, so I'm sure I could find you some for your epi that will fit.

amen TWANG - same thoughts here. why the need to worry about the 'next' guitar you're going to purchase. if you like what you got, and desire to tweak it, go for it. who knows, if you're one of the lucky few, you'll never desire another guitar because of those tweaks.

playing guitar for 16 mos now. 7 guitars, 6 tube amps. gawd, i'm in trouble. :-

amen TWANG - same thoughts here. why the need to worry about the 'next' guitar you're going to purchase. if you like what you got' date=' and desire to tweak it, go for it. who knows, if you're one of the lucky few, you'll never desire another guitar because of those tweaks.

playing guitar for 16 mos now. 7 guitars, 6 tube amps. gawd, i'm in trouble. :- [/quote']

Hehehehehe... Aren't there meetings for folks like............us? <wink>

Hi my name is ...............and I suffer from G.A.S.!!!!

Twang, good for you. Mine came in this week too. I got the SDOTD, the black SG w/the VJr Combo.

And I have to say, I'm really impressed with this guitar. This thing 'Kicks'. Yeah there is a little bit of work to be done to it, I'll polish the frets and take care of a few sharp ones too, but.....

The action is PERFECT, the strings are FRESH, albeit the wrong size for me, but that's OK.

These P/Us I think are just fine, actually I like them, They do have some punch to them.

And yeah I'm planning on polishing this "TURD". I'll put some classic tuner on it. I might even experiment with some custom inlay on the neck/headstock next winter when I find some time or I'll just keep it the way it is.

My point in buying this 'kit' was the amp. I'm now a member of the VJr family and I like this little amp...so far. I need to wait for the weekend to really open it up, (break in the speaker and the valves I mean).

I hear it takes a little while for these things to settle a bit. Then I'll try a mod or two. I'm curious about putting a tone pot on there and swapping out that EH Tube. I live in Oregon and so ordering Tubes from Bob at EuroTubes is super easy for me. Hell I might just drop mine off at his shop and tell him to have some fun with this little amp.

And I have to say' date=' I'm really impressed with this guitar. This thing 'Kicks'. Yeah there is a little bit of work to be done to it, I'll polish the frets and take care of a few sharp ones too, but.....

The action is PERFECT, the strings are FRESH, albeit the wrong size for me, but that's OK.

These P/Us I think are just fine, actually I like them, They do have some punch to them.

[/quote']

Dagwood, You're not helping things. I've been sitting here one mouse click away from buying that pack. I never desired an SG, and I have two jr. combos. why the #*& am i ready to pull the trigger on this?

And then comes your comment and my finger twitched........ luckily i didn't hear my mouse click.

I have covers in chrome and from two suppliers' date=' so I'm sure I could find you some for your epi that will fit.[/quote']

It's just an expression, dood. You want to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading a $200 guitar, go right ahead. However, apparently unlike you, I'm not trying to sell this guy anything and from my experience it's just a waste of money, and excuuuuuuuuuuuse me for sharing that experience with the tyros... we are talking about a G-310, AKA a glorified Special, here. While it's a passable instrument, there's definitely room for improvement. If it was me I'd be saving up towards at least a G-400, not pissing away my dough on chrome plating.

Our friend is a big boy and he's able to make his own decisions and he can take my honest advice or he can ignore it and it's no skin off my nose... if you have a different POV that's cool too.

gonna have to side towards RotcanX here...

sure the G310 is a great guitar to start with..better than what I did, but after spending all the money on my G400 only to pick up a stock elite sg and have it blow it out of the water...it's better to put that cash to the side for a nicer guitar IMO, I ended up selling my G400 for the price I paid for it and just lost all the extra money I spent on pickups, case, pots, switch, bone nut, ect

the most I would do would be toss a GFS or other cheap upgrade pickup in the bridge and maybe a switch, epi switches aren't worth squat

i have the same opinion about amps after i pissed away the money on several solid state amps (of decent quality even) only to remain unhappy until i had a tube amp

I've spent money on my epis and they aren't turds and it wasn't just polishing.

I'm also sick of the idea of an epiphone forum where people think they aren't good guitars' date=' or good enough, somehow.

[/quote']

My Special II sucks, and now it has good pickups and a good nut and I've got to satin-finish the neck a bit better and it has locking tuners and a graphite nut and proper intonation. New electronics (pots) still waiting to go in (I haven't got a proper resistor pair yet for a push-pull mod), and some fretwork (the frets are pretty flat somehow, in the middle; but I want to check levelness and re-crown them).

It plays a LOT better than when I got it. Sounds pretty awesome too. The changes I want to make ... I've determined the pots suck, the frets I need a look at, so there might be a real difference. A body's a body, this one's just basswood.

playing guitar for 16 mos now. 7 guitars' date=' 6 tube amps. gawd, i'm in trouble. #-o [/quote']

Yeah I want to mess with a couple more VJ heads, invert the tubes and add a fan to the combo (tubes UP into the chassis, small 5000RPM ball bearing fan at 1500RPM to exhaust from the back of the chassis for cooling), shock mount the board (soft rubber washers under the screws).

Thinking I need to find a good Rickenbacker I want. Then I can have an Epi, Ibanez, and Rickenbacker. Just don't see anything over there I really want.

Keep in mind' date=' Rot, that owners of high-end guitars could say the same thing about your Epi's. See my adage below.[/quote']

Absolutely. That's why all my Elitists are stock except for the pickups in my LP which were just lying around anyway. You goof around enough in this business and you do some wheelin' and dealin', you end up with a lot of cool parts lying around that you can stick in stuff. Yes, I just ordered a pair of SD P-90s for my Epi LP Special but there again it's mostly because I need the ones in the LP to go into my Special DC, so that I can take the '64 Gibson P-90s that are in that and put them where they belong, i.e. into a 1965 SG Special... otherwise I would have left well enough alone.

I've done the polishing route, on Epi LPs and Dots and in both cases it wasn't really worth it and I ended up dumping them eventually for something better that I should have saved up for in the first place. Naturally that's just my take on the matter; YMMV, especially since I'm a picky perfectionist SOB when it comes to this stuff. ;)

Pfffft. You wanna see what polishing a turd really looks like?

Felt a little silly when I was done, but it was fun nonetheless.

Original SG Special.

episg2002.jpg

After I got done with it. Spent more on the shizzle than the guitar itself.

sgalmostdone2001.jpg

Listen Hughes, Theres nothing wrong with the G-310, You will probably have to change p'ups and tuners if you want a better sound ( I also have a Indonesian G-310 in Vintage White) and after getting a set of '57 Classic's and Gibby Tuners I really like how it plays and sounds, sure I will get a G-400 later on but for the price I'll enjoy my 310

It's just an expression' date=' dood. You want to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading a $200 guitar, go right ahead. However, apparently unlike you, I'm not trying to sell this guy anything and from my experience it's just a waste of money, and excuuuuuuuuuuuse me for sharing that experience with the tyros... we [b']are[/b] talking about a G-310, AKA a glorified Special, here. While it's a passable instrument, there's definitely room for improvement. If it was me I'd be saving up towards at least a G-400, not pissing away my dough on chrome plating.

Our friend is a big boy and he's able to make his own decisions and he can take my honest advice or he can ignore it and it's no skin off my nose... if you have a different POV that's cool too.

First off.. dood. It's not just an expressioni it's an expression about the usefulness or worthiness of the instrument in regard to simple modifications anyone might do on any guitar, which seems to say, it's a waste of time.

and also you mention hundreds of dollars.. which is pretty over the top for most people in here who wind up with just a set of tuners or knobs or maybe some of those jim dandy GFS pickups.

Secondly, I really take offense at your idea that I'm just trying to sell this guy something. That's not my point in being here and not my attitude at all.

You've already seen that many many epi owners do not consider upgrades, even of the primarily cosmetic type not to be a waste of time.

I certainly dont' consider the pickup and wiring changes I've done to my epis a waste of time, and they play and sound better proving it.

I can appreciate that your choice would be different. However, I disagree with that as a final word on the subject because so many of us disagree.

You can spend your money however you want, I just think you ought to quit calling other peoples guitars turds.

First off.. dood. It's not just an expressioni it's an expression about the usefulness or worthiness of the instrument in regard to simple modifications anyone might do on any guitar' date=' which seems to say, it's a waste of time.[/quote']

'It's not an expression it's an expression'. That made a lot of sense.

And yes, that was my point. In my opinion it's a waste of time to spend money on a $210 guitar in some attempt to make it into a $300 guitar, especially if you end up spending more than $90 in the process because in the end analysis you still will be stuck with a $210 guitar. That's all I'm saying.

You seem real sensitive about this, which indicates to me that I have unwittingly hit upon some insecurity you have about this issue... my apologies for that but what you need to realize is that other people may on occasion see things differently than you do and that does not mean that they are attacking your POV nor that you need to go on the offensive when they express their opinions.

and also you mention hundreds of dollars.. which is pretty over the top for most people in here who wind up with just a set of tuners or knobs or maybe some of those jim dandy GFS pickups.

$90. That's what it takes to get a G-400 instead of a G-310. I don't think that's over the top.

Secondly, I really take offense at your idea that I'm just trying to sell this guy something. That's not my point in being here and not my attitude at all.

Imagine how pissed off you'd be if I'd posted a SPAM graphic. Pal, every time someone posts on here you pop in with a reply of all the stuff you have to sell and how your stuff is better than anything else. I am reminded of a thread about pickups that had to be pulled due to your thin-skinned inability to keep civil. 'Methinks thou dost protest too loudly'.

You've already seen that many many epi owners do not consider upgrades, even of the primarily cosmetic type not to be a waste of time.

I certainly dont' consider the pickup and wiring changes I've done to my epis a waste of time, and they play and sound better proving it.

One more time. =D> What others consider has no bearing on my point of view, just as my point of view has no bearing on what others consider unless they want it to. You really have a hard time accepting or even understanding this; with you, it's 'your way or the highway'. And as usual, your 'proof' is so subjective in nature as to be valueless.

I can appreciate that your choice would be different. However, I disagree with that as a final word on the subject because so many of us disagree.

You can spend your money however you want, I just think you ought to quit calling other peoples guitars turds.

Actually, your behaviour shows that you do not appreciate my differences, or else you wouldn't have gone on this rant in the first place. Unlike you, I respect your right to disagree, but remember that just as there are some that may disagree with me, there are also many who will agree. As to calling people's guitars turds, well, it becomes painfully obvious that any level of explanation as to what was meant with that will go over your head. For some reason you've taken a simple piece of advice as a personal insult (which is doubly amusing since I wasn't even replying to you in the first place) and furthermore, judging by your ad hominem form of discussion, you seem unable to separate my meaning from my literary style of expression... and it is not my job nor my desire to educate you beyond your current level of comprehension.

I guess you'll just have to stop reading my posts since (a) you don't seem to understand what I'm saying and (=P~ you are unable to respond intellectually instead of emotionally.

I suggest, however, that you do go and look up the meaning of the word 'forum', since it appears that either you don't know what it means or you just prefer to ignore it. Once again you've completely derailed a thread with your own selfish concerns and if you want to keep banging your head on this particular wall, go ahead, but I will remind you once again that your last little tantrum merely ended up getting the entire thread deleted by admin. I've said all I have to say at this point and as far as I am concerned this subject is closed.

Hey thanks for the props guys.

I have to set the record straight though. I had to replace the neck, that's why the headstock is different.

I purchased new Sperzel locking tuners for it not knowing that the holes for the tuners were different, (see my post about finding correct tuners for Specials). So, without any planning whatsoever, I went to the headstock with a drill.

Not the best of choices. I blame beer.

Anyway, that's a Mighty Mite neck on it.

I think I paid $80 for the guitar itself. . .then proceeded to put a total of about another $180 into it.

Color me genius. 8-[

Archived