Gibson Brands Forums

Valve standard mods

Love the retro look & size of this amp.

But, I'm looking to get a lot more treble (brightness similar

to my Fender Deluxe).

First step, for e-z fix, will be to change out orig. speaker

w/ Jensen 10-100 but I know that won't be the cure-all.

Can any one recommend minor chassis mods?

s/Vin

....I'm looking to get a lot more treble (brightness similar

to my Fender Deluxe).

I call that 'sparkle'. I was planning on doing that exact thing to my standard, but have gotten side tracked on other things. The few things I did do has made a huge difference however. Number 1 is to bypass the DSP. I need to check on exactly what the two other things I did. Here are a couple links I saved that I've been borrowing ideas from:

http://www.ppwatt.com/node/15351

http://www.ppwatt.com/node/11922

Ok, I just checked what mods I've made so far. These were all done on top of the board, and easy to make.

All references are made looking down on the top with the writing correct side up.

1) Bypassed DSP by soldering wire from R41 (left side) to R17 (right side). R17 is right behind the treble pot.

2) 'Removed' R13 by soldering a wire from one side to the other.

3) Knocked the resistance of R12 (1M) down to the 110K range by soldering a 120K resistor across it.

So far it sounds 10 times better, but still a ways from 'sparkling'. My next step will probably be to rewire the tone controls to duplicate a blackface tonestack.

Thanks for the great direction. I'm going to get this info to Bill's Music, the goto guy around here, & he's an Epi dealer.

I stopped by originally to check out the VJ with matching cabinet, but I saw the Standard (used) & liked the idea of having

the standby,gain, tone pots & reverb. I imagine when bypassing the DSP I'll have to find a way to get a tank verb scarfed

into it, hoping it can stay under the price of a RI Fender Reverb Unit!

Thanks again...I'll post along the way.

10 times better, on our way to "sparkling".

s/Vin

Yeah, I really hated losing the reverb because it really was very useable. The reverb is a seperate pin on the DSP chip, if I were to brush up on my ss/digital electronics, there should be a way to use it. The signal level would need a real boost though. You'll notice the significant increase in volume just by bypassing the DSP.

As to adding a tank, you'll also need to add a recovery circuit which would include mounting another preamp tube. I can tell you though, the PT is not spec'd right to even power the heaters in the existing tubes, adding another will surely destroy the 6.3 tap. Mine was bad.*** But instead of replacing the PT, I added another transformer ($10) specifically to power the heaters - with power to spare.

Maybe somebody already sells a tank reverb kit that will make this more a 'bolt on' process?

***Odd you mention billsmusic because they sold off a couple standards on ebay with known bad transformers. I got mine for $60 and only the 6.3V tap on the PT was bad. I'm guessing the other one had the same problem. One other problem mine had required hard wiring the tab connection (where the PT connects to the pc board) directly to the rectifier diodes. Those tabs flop about and eventually break the connection on the pc board.

Ricach,

I haven't gotten to Bills, yet, but I did find out about a

Weber add a verb, about 300.

It's in kit form and claims to fit in a 5fsomething amp.

If not, then a "fender' verb cabinet is available for another buck.

This will be a nickel & dime project but a pretty cool adventure at that.

BTW,Would you be interested in doing the project?

s/Vin

Thanks again for all the direction.

s/Vin

For anyone who might be interested... Here's a few of the parts I just ordered from http://www.tubesandmore.com/

P-R9AB2A1B REVERB TANK, MED DELAY, USED IN FENDER, MESA BOOGIE AMPS $25.95

P-RBAG-17 REVERB TANK BAG, 17" LONG, HANDMADE OF BLACK TOLEX $10.95

P-TF22921 TRANSFORMER, OUTPUT, 3-1/2 W, 8 OHM, REPLACEMENT FOR FENDER $14.95

Don't forget, you may also need two 9-pin preamp tube sockets, plus a few caps and resistors and some wire. Depending upon your power supply, you may need an extra node. If so, add a big filter cap and power resistor for the B+ rail to your parts list.

Here's the Fender AB-763 schematic that I'm using as a guide. http://www.schematicheaven.com/fenderamps/deluxe_reverb_ab763_schem.pdf

Gil...

bluefoxicy,

check w/ my sister-guess she won't let you outta town much.

The "other" Bill's Music (don't even think he's got a website) is in Peabody, MA, north of Boston.

He's an EPI dealer & The go-to guy around here.

cgil,

Thanks for that info-I'll measure up what might be available in the existing cabinet

and part out for chassis etc.

BTW, Is yours 2 spring?

bluefoxicy,

check w/ my sister-guess she won't let you outta town much.

The "other" Bill's Music (don't even think he's got a website) is in Peabody, MA, north of Boston.

He's an EPI dealer & The go-to guy around here.

cgil,

Thanks for that info-I'll measure up what might be available in the existing cabinet

and part out for chassis etc.

BTW, Is yours 2 spring?

s/Vin

Archived