Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie checking in. What kind of you music are you guys playing?

Hello,

I've been lurking on this site since Santa brought me my VJ combo at Christmas. I didn't know better at the time, but I got lucky. It's a V3 with Eminence inside. I get a lot of compliments from my middle-aged, garage band friends that come over to my basement to jam.

Anyway, Ive been using my VJ to play almost exclusively Beatles stuff with my 11 year old son (he has an EPI Les Paul Jr. and plays pretty well) and other friends. It is strictly recreational and we have a blast no matter how bad it might sound to others. The combo gets by ok on its own, but when I connect it to 2-12, 16 ohm Univox cabinet that I have, it really comes alive.

I'm sure modding will come cuz I can never leave well enough alone. For right now I'm having fun with it.

So what do you do with your VJ's?

P.S. The dog lover avatar theme is what finally inspired me to register.

lotsa Dog Lovers here =D> I'm running my V3 Combo with a Korg Toneworks pedal (multi-effects). I play Classic Rock, Blues and some Metal too - the VJ with a Multi-effect is nice as I can add reverb, chorus, delay, etc. Would like individual pedals but money is tight these days. I have a Tubescreamer and a DS-1 but prefer the ME Pedal as I can dial in loads of different sounds including High Gain too.

When I really want DEATH Metal I use an old Roland DAC-50XD with the Korg - the SS Amps do metal better.

lotsa Dog Lovers here :- I'm running my V3 Combo with a Korg Toneworks pedal (multi-effects). I play Classic Rock' date=' Blues and some Metal too - the VJ with a Multi-effect is nice as I can add reverb, chorus, delay, etc. Would like individual pedals but money is tight these days. I have a Tubescreamer and a DS-1 but prefer the ME Pedal as I can dial in loads of different sounds including High Gain too.

When I really want DEATH Metal I use an old Roland DAC-50XD with the Korg - the SS Amps do metal better.[/quote']

+1 I've got the combo and the head/cab. I plug in a POD XTL, the effects are great and the amp models are even better. I can cover a wide range of music with this setup. I think the Vj in any form loves pedals.

Welcome to the dog pound!

Mine is a marshall-modded V2 head with a 1x12 closed cab, loaded with a G12H100 Celestion. I play classic rock and blues. This amp has been my fall-to amp for small venues, and for the jam that I help host on Sunday evenings, although I have to admit that it's now sharing duties with an incredible Z Maz Jr. that a buddy of mine borrowed me, and my kid's blues jr. that I modified. I still use the Epi, so she won't get jealous, but not as much as I was before.

I don't use much for pedals, but what I do is all home brew, including my wah. I tend to mostly rely upon my amp's distortion for rhythm and roll the guitar volume back for "cleans." and kick on either an overdrive or clean boost, or both for leads.

With mine, lots of open tuned stuff with a slide. Theres nothing like the VJnr for getting a mean raucous slide guitar sound, and you dont need to use a compressor either.

Mine also sounds great using my standard tuned Tele through as well, playing more funky stuff and chunky rhythm.

I roll off the volume control and use my echo pedal, when I want to play a bit of african style guitar, which I also love too.

Sollophonic

Archived