Gibson Brands Forums

What's the big deal with Bonamassa?

ricach

And for that matter, Alan Holdsworth, and all the other apparent guitar 'gods'. My intent is not to dis any player with that question, I'm just curious how some guitar players apparently shine up and above the rest of the others? Outstanding players are a dime a dozen - which is discouraging for me since i still suck at it - and I'm trying to learn what puts some over the top. I love all the greats but can't see what makes them better than every other outstanding player I've seen. Including local musicians. Would it just be my inexperience? For what its worth, I've played the keys for 30 years, am considered very accomplished - yet have the same issue with apparent keyboard gods.

Sorry if this is outside the realm of 'Epiphone' topics but what makes a guitarist more outstanding than the rest to you guys? And I'm honestly asking - not trying to pick a fight.

And for that matter' date=' Alan Holdsworth, and all the other apparent guitar 'gods'. My intent is not to dis any player with that question, I'm just curious how some guitar players apparently shine up and above the rest of the others? Outstanding players are a dime a dozen - which is discouraging for me since i still suck at it - and I'm trying to learn what puts some over the top. I love all the greats but can't see what makes them better than every other outstanding player I've seen. Including local musicians. Would it just be my inexperience? For what its worth, I've played the keys for 30 years, am considered very accomplished - yet have the same issue with apparent keyboard gods.

Sorry if this is outside the realm of 'Epiphone' topics but what makes a guitarist more outstanding than the rest to you guys? And I'm honestly asking - not trying to pick a fight.

[/quote']

Interesting question: TIMING gets my vote, BUT you and your chops have to be ready when the timng or opportunity comes around to be exposed with all the stars in correct alignment. BUT, legends like Clapton are goooood guitar players. I'm sure there are several opinions on this, and you're right, some local musicians are monsters, regardless of your location..........J

My .02.

Really fast players are a dime a dozen.

Really technical players are a dime a dozen.

Really tasty players are a dime a dozen.

Really flashy players are a dime a dozen.

Really fast, technical, tasty, flashy players are a little more than a dime a dozen.

Guys that grab you by the sack while a tear wells in your eye and the hairs on your arm stand straight up. . .and they're just bending a note and holding it, priceless.

For me, the moment that I heard Stevie Ray Vaughn play, all of the above happened to me.

Guys like Stevie Ray are practically once in a lifetime.

And for that matter' date=' Alan Holdsworth, and all the other apparent guitar 'gods'. My intent is not to dis any player with that question, I'm just curious how some guitar players apparently shine up and above the rest of the others? Outstanding players are a dime a dozen - which is discouraging for me since i still suck at it - and I'm trying to learn what puts some over the top. I love all the greats but can't see what makes them better than every other outstanding player I've seen. Including local musicians. Would it just be my inexperience? For what its worth, I've played the keys for 30 years, am considered very accomplished - yet have the same issue with apparent keyboard gods.

[/quote']

Well I happen to think Bonamassa is one of the best young blues players out there....but to answer your question...there are thousands of great unknown players out there who are as good or better than the famous ones who just never caught the right break. There are also a ton of real shitty players that were simply in the right place at the right time. I'm sure you can think of a few who don't particularly deserve the attention they get.

A lot of it is about who's calling them a 'god'. Is it his/her record company or is it other players ? For instance, I'm doubtful that only guitar players know about Alan Holdsworth. The general public doesn't have a clue since he doesn't make top-10 records or isn't on TV. Do you think anybody other than guitar players know who Danny Gatton was?

As you said, there are lots & lots of great players out there. For every one of the 'guitar gods' there's another one playing some little club someplace that is just as good. Being a virtuoso isn't enough anymore. There's got to be some luck along the way, too.

Sorry if this is outside the realm of 'Epiphone' topics but what makes a guitarist more outstanding than the rest to you guys?

Well for me' date=' I'm sitting in my room playing the Super Mario Bros. theme, with more hammer-ons and creative bending; and I'll just tap out a random Sonic song or such without tabs 'cause I'm starting to understand where sounds go on the fretboard.

I'm pretty sure if I could play super hot, nobody would come to see me play Super Mario Bros. music right? (granted, I saw [u']this[/u] live... and it was awesome... they were in armor...)

I like Joe Bonamassa because he plays and sings with what comes across as genuine emotion (to me, anyway). He has a great sound, very bluesy, and he has a great deal of variety to his material. Great taste in covers (Had To Cry Today, Never Make Your Move Too Soon, and his minor-key take on Reconsider Baby). I've got 4 of his CDs and like them all.

I don't use the term 'guitar god', I'm far too old for that kind of stuff. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one god in music, and that's Louis Armstrong. YMMV....

Really fast players are a dime a dozen.

Really technical players are a dime a dozen.

Really tasty players are a dime a dozen.

Really flashy players are a dime a dozen.

Really fast' date=' technical, tasty, flashy players are a little more than a dime a dozen.

[/quote']

To me fast, technical, and flashy are closely related. I can't think of one guitarplayer who is one without the other.

And for that matter' date=' Alan Holdsworth, and all the other apparent guitar 'gods'. My intent is not to dis any player with that question, I'm just curious how some guitar players apparently shine up and above the rest of the others?

[/quote']

Thinking outside the box. Good knowledge of tradition and conventions, but not afraid to break the rules. Have an open mind. If you want to stand out, don't listen to guitarplayers(Well not too often, unless you want to become a carbon copy).

Holdsworth doesn't consider himself a guitarist in traditional sense. His timing and phrasing is inspired by hornplayers. Beck listened to operasingers.

My .02.

For me' date=' the moment that I heard Stevie Ray Vaughn play, all of the above happened to me.

Guys like Stevie Ray are practically once in a lifetime.[/quote']

I've always wondered what SRV would have sounded like, if Albert King had never lived.

I've always wondered what SRV would have sounded like' date=' if Albert King had never lived.[/quote']

Good point. It's sort of what I meant with "having a sense of tradition". All the greats have been influenced by other greats before.

I think it was Stravinsky who said "All innovation roots in tradition".

As to the "Gods" aspect...well, WE (the record buying public, or player worshipers),

make them that, more than anything. That's usually somewhat the hubris of youth, too.

I don't know...I think the "posers" never last that long. Especially those,

who start believing their own hype/BS.

The sincere players, who would play regardless of money, tend

to last longer, even in the "spotlight." Given equal talent,

sincereness and being smart enough, to take advantage of breaks,

obvious or not, when they come along, keeps the good ones in the game.

Timing and "Who you know," are pretty essential, as well. But, that goes

for most anything, really.

And, then being able to handle the "fame" as well. We've lost so many greats,

who just couldn't handle the pressure and lunacy, of "fame!"

Anyway...just a few thoughts.

CB

I have known people who made the decision to go to Nashville, Memphis, New York, or wherever they thought they could make it and came back drained, disappointed, and broken. Then there were those who wrote a song, played with an upcoming band, etc, and did make it. Some were one hit wonders and others were long run artists. I know people who tried and ended up being session players or song writers.

Most of success is never giving up.

Bonamassa is a good axeman and a good singer. Someone picked him up and floated him to the top. I don't know his history, but I'd suspect that he didn't just walk into a studio and announce his intentions to be a star. There was a mentor somewhere in the chain.

Holdsworth doesn't consider himself a guitarist in traditional sense. His timing and phrasing is inspired by hornplayers.

I've heard that about him, and so listening to him that's what I heard. But then listening to other players, their phrasing sounded like it just as well be a sax solo as well.

For me, its the players 'attitude' that I seem to pick up on. Not virtuosity. My initial inspiration to play the guitar came from listening to Dave Hole, Sonny Landreth, Guitar Shorty and Kenny Wayne Shephard. I enjoy BB King and Clapton but find no inspiration in what they do.

I'm getting the idea that its all in the eyes/ears of the beholder. And as someone mentioned earlier - luck and being at the right place at the right time is what has propelled alot of these famous players up and above the rest.

Bonamassa is a good axeman and a good singer. Someone picked him up and floated him to the top. I don't know his history, but I'd suspect that he didn't just walk into a studio and announce his intentions to be a star. There was a mentor somewhere in the chain.

Here is a clip of a young Bonamassa with a band called Bloodline with some very famous young sons....check it out!! A little history and an explanation about some of his connections etc...

I don't get the Bonamassa thing either, and I'm a big blues/blues rock kinda guy. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've never been into the really technical and or shred players either. Some of them bring some new ideas into music, but by and large I find that they're more interested in a wankfest. That is not interesting music to me.

Tukinator nailed it. Be it SRV or whoever.

The most effective player's who produce those reactions are seldom the most technically gifted players...

They are ons who make the guitar communicate an emotive message.

Exactly...but when emotive playing and a little ability come together it makes for some really nice guitar work too! Most of the pyrotechnical players bore me to tears,but I appreciate the skill and commitment it takes to do what they do. People are often most critical of what they don't understand....be it baby boomers commenting on newer stuff or 13 year olds commenting on classic blues artists.....minds are like parachutes....they only work when open! It's easy to say this guy sucks or that guy just plays fast without really understanding what's going on.

WOW! I consider myself a fairly decent rythem/lead player, happy with my tone and all, decent ability and all, but Bonomassa is an ANIMAL. I try not to listen to him too much as I'll just get depressed. He's got it all. GREAT slide player, great straight up blues player, and has this silky tastefull phrasing quickness of his own, kinda like Eric Johnson. With an LP! He is amazing. Am I missing something here? Guys like Clapton and so on, yeah Great guitar players and styles and emotion in songs, they had an advantage though. This is what made them Gods, they somewhat did what they do first, and the scene wasn't overly saturated at the time. Come on now, is Keith Richards actually a good guitar player? YUCK! NO! But, involved in some pretty good songwriting at the right time. Sure, there are some insane local guitar players that don't get any credit, I know a bunch. There are a lot of factors in this though. The players make lots of personal and professional decisions that make their destiny. You can't just be a good or even great guitar player. It's who you decide to play with in your band that can make or break you. Hate to say it but, image plays into it a lot. Style of music is huge. Whether or not you can sing as the guitarist/frontman, or have a singer in the group at all, and does that singer suck? Lot's of these things have nothing to do with great guitar playing. Then there's the ever so fair and logical music business..............LOL!

Archived