Gibson Brands Forums

Jr. member of the Jr. club! Here she is.....!

brad1

I am one happy dude! I had the winning bid (ebay) at 7:30 monday night and it was here at 9:30 am wednesday morning! As I quickly wrestled with the bubble rap to set her free I was struck by the deep rich dark cherry exterior. I grabbed my tuner and spent the next 5 min. trying to get it in tune. I was having a hard time doing this. I also noticed right away that the low E string was touching the first fret and buzzing, and that the strings appeared to be very old. And I noticed the strings were sitting too low in the nut slots. So, after adjusting the truss rod, raising the bridge a little, and new strings - WOW!!

It is absolutely AWESOME!! I have the many members here to thank for all their comments on the model and that cool P90. I was somewhat worried that this guitar would sound too much like my g400. It doesn't. And Suplex I have you to thank the most - without your keen eye I wouldn't have this cool guitar with me right now! As I've heard many say, the tuners are going to have to go. Suplex, I can't remember if you put those, were they rotomatics?, in your junior. I'm not doing any drilling so if anyone knows of good brand that will drop right in I'd appreciate it. I'm also going to have put a new nut on there. It appears that the width of the nut is a little smaller than my g400. So any help with where I can get a pre-cut one would also being greatly appreciated. I want to write more about how cool this guitar is, but I've said enough already. And I really need to get back to my real life and get some things done. Since wed. morning this guitar has been almost all I've been thinikng about. I forgot to go get my haircut last night. Totally forgot about my appointment. Gonna have to call her today and make up a better excuse than getting a new guitar. Thanks for letting me share this with you everybody! p.s. it's a '97 (J97100457) DP has no info on it except made in OCT. 1997. I'm guessing the J might be Japan??

DSC01201.jpg] DSC01208.jpg

ooooooo...double vision.......

DSC01191.jpg

DSC01202.jpg Big Brother and Junior....I think they look good together

DSC01204.jpg

Check out those gnarly headstock tracers.....

Well there she is! :- Glad to see it got a good appreciated home Brad. Glad my eye could help spot her on the radar for you. Yeah those tuners need to go! I went with Grover Minis and it never seems to go out of tune ...I love them...I didn't do the install though so not sure if they dropped right in. Jerrymac changed up his tuners also and I believe he did it himself so he could be better to answer that.

Awesome man ! Enjoy and most of all...

ROCK!

Very happy guitar day to you. Looks like a winner. Can't tell you how envious I am. Always wanted a guitfiddle with a P-90. Maybe someday. As someone said in another post: Something dosen't look right...better send it to me. I am sure Twang, Jerrymac or one of the others will know about the tuners. Once again, congrats.

(If you find yourself getting up in the middle of the night to play it, or even just to look at it....We won't tell)

That's funny I was editing my post about that right when you were posting your question. No factory is listed in the Data Project. It only states Oct. 1997, no factory listed. I was wondering if the J at the front might be for Japan.

Oh, and yes I believe it's the stock pickup. I wouldn't really know though unless I opened it up. This is my first experience with a P90.

That's funny I was editing my post about that right when you were posting your question. No factory is listed in the Data Project. It only states Oct. 1997' date=' no factory listed. I was wondering if the J at the front might be for Japan.

Oh, and yes I believe it's the stock pickup. I wouldn't really know though unless I opened it up. This is my first experience with a P90. [/quote']

If the cover is more of a 'squareish' (Is this a word??? :-k ) P90 cover I would say it's stock but then again who knows what is underneath. I changed my dogear cover with a GFS cover it just fits tighter.The original one was sticking up a bit.

Mine has the kind of rare CI serial number in which Jerry mentioned may be from Cort Indonesia 97 as well. I like the stock Epi P90, little bastard growls with a fierce crunch!!! Fun guitars they are!

Besides, Juniors rule the universe. =D>

Well, how about I replace the bridge mini in my Riviera with an SD blade/P-90 combo, eliminate the neck pickup a la Tom Delonge, and wire each coil of the pickup through one side of the selector switch and then to the standard 2-tone 2-volume control set?

Edit:

This is probably too big to call a "Junior", since is based on the ES-335 body. What do you think of "Gramps" as a body type?

If the cover is more of a 'squareish' (Is this a word??? =D> ) P90 cover I would say it's stock but then again who knows what is underneath. I changed my dogear cover with a GFS cover it just fits tighter.

The original one was sticking up a bit. Mine has the kind of rare CI serial number in which Jerry mentioned may be from Cort Indonesia 97 as well. I like the stock Epi P90. Little bastard growls with a fierce crunch. Fun guitars they are!

Yeah, it's pretty "squareish". And YES! they are extemely fun! At first it was kind of weird. I kept looking down to switch pu's and each time going, "Oh yeah, NO SWITCH". But soon I realized how liberating this can be. Just crank up the amp and let it go! The missing neck pu also contributes to this liberating feeling. All that room down there to just let your picking hand fly! And I have to agree, I like the stock pu's. Don't think I'll change them.

I thought my g400 was light. I could play this thing for 5 hours straight and not feel it on me. And another added bonus is that the neck doesn't dive for the floor, stays right where you want it without any help.

All I can say is, I finally understand what you, Jerry, Gary, and the rest have been saying. It is a very fun guitar to play. And sounds cool too.

So far I am responsible for scoping and successfully finding:

Jerrymac's Epi SG Junior

My own Epi SG Junior of course (duh!)

Brad's Epi SG Junior

Gary's "Lil Christian" Epi LP (Old forum RIP)

Frank's Epi DC Junior (Which Jerry passed on and reposted)

All within less than 6 months time!!!

It's good thing I am not the type of guy who likes tootin his own horn... :-k

Food and candy welcomed....=D>

So far I am responsible for scoping and successfully finding:

Jerrymac's Epi SG Junior

My own Epi SG Junior of course (duh!)

Brad's Epi SG Junior

Gary's "Lil Christian" Epi LP (Old forum RIP)

Frank's Epi DC Junior (Which Jerry passed on and reposted)

All within less than 6 months time!!!

It's good thing I am not the type of guy who likes tootin his own horn... :-k

Food and candy welcomed....=D>

So does that imply that I'm on your radar now too for an SG Jr.? :-k

So does that imply that I'm on your radar now too for an SG Jr.? =D>

Funny thing is, it's usually very unplanned I go in and just happen to catch them at the right time. Anytime I do I post them here, especially the Epi SG Juniors. They don't pop up as much as the LP's do after people started realizing how light they are and how much great tone you can get out of it.

Plus they have that 62 "look" which I love. I'll keep my eyes peeled, but you may want to save "Epi SG Juniors" in a fav search on your browser. Just check daily there's always one or two out there from time to time. Jerry got the best deal IMO on one. It was up for literally 5 minutes before he snagged it!

I just wanted to thank all for the positive comments, thanks; Suplex, Willy, Dana, Gary, Tuk, JG, Biff and Spud.

If any of you all get a chance to get one, I highly recommend it.

Right now I'm getting ready to go over to a fellow musicians house for the first time to jam. I met him through Craig's List last week, have emailed a few times and talked on the phone once. He is also a songwriter and says he is a guitarist who plays the drums. Which is great because I am a drummer who plays guitar. He has a decent kit set up at his house. But the coolest part is that he has a 1976 Gibson SG! Brown was the color he said it was. He also has a nice asortment of amps, recording equipment and other guitars. But I didn't hear much after he told me about the SG. I kept picturing me playing it......... I'll let you guys know how the jam session goes. Thanks again!!!

Hey JG! Whats happening man?

I love your new VS Gibby LP Junior...great timing on that score man! Are you keeping the pawnshop Epi as well?

Hey Suplex' date='

Everything's great! good to see you back online!

Yeah, i'm gonna hang on to the pawnshop Jr and make it a project...

I know if i let it go the GAS will be back and i'll be crawling all over craigslist and

ebay and kicking my rear...

This is the first week in a Looooongggg time i haven't Gassed for anything!

Jay[/color']

Archived