Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite bands?

bluefoxicy

So I could dilute the rattlesnake thread more, but how about a favorite band thread instead? Besides Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath and all, I've got a few recent picks...

[*]Dragonforce (Homepage) (CD) (MP3 Sample) - Heaviest metal ever

[*]Powerglove (Homepage) (CD) (MP3 Sample) - Heavy metal

[*]Armcannon (Homepage) (CD) (MP3 Sample) - Metal

[*]Select Start (Homepage) (CD) (MP3 Sample) - Small orchestral

[*]Smash Brothers (cannot FIND!) - Metal

I haven't seen DragonForce in concert, and missed ArmCanon by a hair (I was IN the building); but saw PG and SS. Saw Smash Brothers live, can't find them on the map, they had a small fire on stage so cooked bacon for us <3

PowerGlove has another CD but it's not on their site (I have it, they showed me to the table ;)... it's awesome, the MP3 sample is from it.

Favorite? probably Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac close 2nd. Followed rapidly by Beatles, Stones, ZZTop, yada yada --- typical classic rocker of the Baby Boomer generation. We all know at least a core of it, no matter what kind of music we prefer; just like nearly all us Boomers have at least passing familiarity with Blues, R&B, latin, big band, jazz, pop, punk, indie, classical and folk. I admit, I have ceded pop, punk, indie, modern rock, heavy metal, rap, emo, et al, to my children and trust them to handle it. If you press me, I'll even admit I enjoyed Donna Summer, but even the kids didn't want disco.

Pink Floyd has some good stuff, ZZTop I've heard a handful of songs from. Queen I like.

There's a few classic rock bands from my parents' era I never got into but like their stuff (because I hit it on Guitar Hero THIS YEAR), and might actually go back to and start collecting. Modern era GoodShit is hard to find.

The ones that can still hit me at some core/emotional level. Some would be

Beatles (of course)

Steely Dan

Elton John

CSN(&Y)

Eagles

Who

OK, I'm really showing my boomer status with the preceding but I am NOT totally stuck in the 60s/70s, hence

The Shins

Gomez

The Fray

Alison Krauss & Union Station

Blues Magoos....They "Keep me hangin' on". (sorry' date=' I'm leaving town for the weekend...couldn't resist)[/quote']

Wasn't that Vanilla Fudge??

At my age, it have to be THE BEATLES...far ahead from anybody else... They makes me born to music.

I also have a lot of admiration for LED ZEPPELIN, PINK FLOYD, SUPERTRAMP and DEEP PURPLE.

I should also mention a Canadian rock band from Montreal, OFFENBACH.

I would probably be able to add another 10 to 15 more names.....

http://www.armcannon.com/audio/ARMCANNON%20-%20Bhost%20Gusters.mp3 <-- This is too awesome to not mention (from Armcannon)

Must admit this brought a smile to my face

At the moment listening to 2 good Aussie bands

The Butterfly Effect

Cog

Favs.

Metallica

Pink floyd

Van Halen

Most things Grungy

Just about any thing Blues

Dislikes

Anything Country...No Offence

At my age' date=' it have to be THE BEATLES...far ahead from anybody else... They makes me born to music.

I also have a lot of admiration for LED ZEPPELIN, PINK FLOYD, SUPERTRAMP and DEEP PURPLE.

I should also mention a Canadian rock band from Montreal, OFFENBACH.

I would probably be able to add another 10 to 15 more names.....[/quote']

Never heard OFFENBACH before.......Tres' Bon............J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad79ubpY2iQ

My musical tastes are way different than anyone else here. Here's a short list:

Lightning Bolt

Sonic Youth

Radiohead

A Place to Bury Strangers

Flaming Lips

The Boredoms

The Jesus and Mary Chain

...and a lot more Noise Rock/ Shoegaze bands

MERCI for the nice words JEPI... The only reason why OFFENBACH was not known aroud the world, was because they were singing in French. They were well known real rockers in Quebec in the end of the 70's to the end of the 80's. They made it to France also.

We are playing 2 of their songs with our band... The one you sent the video that called AYOYE and another one called CALINE DE BLUES...

First and foremost,

The Beatles

And then in no particular order (as with most folks, one day it's Pink Floyd, the next it's The Clash)

Speaking of...

The Clash

Rolling Stones

The Who

Led Zeppelin

Steely Dan

Elvis Costello

SRV and Double Trouble

Hendrix

Yes

Genesis (the real Genesis, with Peter Gabriel)

Thin Lizzy

Matthew Sweet

Beck

Los Lobos

Michele Shocked

Liz Phair (being a Chicago boy myself, I feel akin to her)

Basically I consider a favorite band, one that I can listen to the entire CD/Album/8-Track, without skipping to the next song. At least 1 album that I can do that with.

Archived