Gibson Brands Forums

Black Fingers

SG1973

This may me a silly question, but does anyone else here get black, and I mean BLACK fingertips while playing? I've been playing for well over 20 years and just recently I've noticed that my fingertips turn black when I play. I' know this is not a problem or anything, I was just curious. I thought maybe my skin was more acidic than it used to be, or maybe it's all that BUSCH LIGHT coming out of my finger tips!

only when my strings are shot..

even new ones will oxidize if they've been in the pack too long..

about all you can do is replace the strings or wipe them off a lot.

far as i know, anyway!

I've noticed that occurring from time to time on brand-new Epis. I think there may be some blackening agent used to darken the fingerboards and some of this transfers to your fingers... but it eventually settles down.

My Epi LP Custom is the same way. I believe RotcanX is correct - they're cosmetically darkening the fingerboards. Really nice, dark rosewood of any kind is getting harder and harder to find. I have to say that despite likely being darkened, the grain on my LP is very nice. I don't really have a problem with this on a guitar at this price level.

Darkened rosewood has been showing up on some of the new American Standard strats as well. Some folks are a little less happy about it on a 1k guitar.

Archived