Gibson Brands Forums

Dimarzio Super Distortion and Epi '57 + Combo on LP

Muskank Sally

Here's a twist for a try on a hot pickup swap-out.

The stock bridge '57 + from my LP got uncapped, cleaned, rotated and tweaked for the neck.

I placed a Dimarzio Super Distortion pickup in the bridge.

Wow. you want to talk about a good PAF Pro clone? The Epi is a sweet match up front and saved me $69 on the PAF Pro or Fred that I was looking at.

Good roll off the mid here and backs down the DP 100 in the middle if it gets too hot.

Damn good stock darkness from that hot '57.

Can't complain at all.

WhiskeysOfSpring2008050.jpg

WhiskeysOfSpring2008049.jpg

WhiskeysOfSpring2008048.jpg

WhiskeysOfSpring2008046.jpg

WhiskeysOfSpring2008043.jpg

Ahh, the ol' Dimarzio Super Distortion. If memory serves, that's the two-conductor version of the Dual Sound. Until the advent of the X2N, Dimarzio's 'hot' pickup. They must have sold a whack of those. I can see how that'd make a good match with an Epi '57 Classic Hot. How's the pole spacing with that, is it aligning fairly well under the strings?

Looks nice like that with the creme in the bridge and black in the neck.

I tried my Epi 57 bridge in the neck and it was too muddy and dark for my LP Custom.

Ive settled on the Custom Custom/Jazz combo in her.

Ahh' date=' the ol' Dimarzio Super Distortion. If memory serves, that's the two-conductor version of the Dual Sound. Until the advent of the X2N, Dimarzio's 'hot' pickup. They must have sold a whack of those. I can see how that'd make a good match with an Epi '57 Classic Hot. How's the pole spacing with that, is it aligning fairly well under the strings?[/quote']

It's not bad .... only noticeable if looked at long enough. Soundwise for me It's not too dark though. We practiced today and I'm pretty much pleased with the sound altogether. As I said it cuts the highs off the DP-100 and the Di goes Hot on Treble when called upon. Kick the pedal into over drive and whoah!

Back off into clean on rhythm produces good chimy clean tones.

I can't say it has the overall push of the SG Custom ...that monster has a breath all its own, and yes I can hear the difference in the 3 pickup guitar.

Ahh' date=' the ol' Dimarzio Super Distortion............... How's the pole spacing with that, is it aligning fairly well under the strings?[/quote']

String alignment over the SD in the bridge position sucks on my Epi LP Custom. I may go for a bridge with lateral saddle adjustment capability. The strings walk over the Super Distortion at a rate of 0.5 mm per pole piece.

E - perfect

A - 0.5mm to the right of center

D - 1.0mm """"""""""""""""""

G - 1.5mm """"""""""""""""""

B - 2.0mm """"""""""""""""""

E - 2.5mm """"""""""""""""""

To compensate I have the treble side of the pup raised 1 & 1/2 turns more on the height adjustment screw. The spacing doesn't look very professional but the tone doesn't suffer. It is a great pick up.

Archived