Gibson Brands Forums

my Epi Coronet, want info

dougie

Hi . I have an Epiphone Coronet and it is hard to determine it's age or vintage, I don't think it's too valuable but it is an odd duck. It has metallic red opaque finish and the pick guard is a white tortise shell or abilone, of sorts. The head stock is 6 in line on the top, with a batwing lower edge, and the face of the headstock is a veneered red metallic same as the body. It sort of looks like a Fender headstack, but different. The neck is maple plain sawn and joined in the traditional manner so you can see the seam where it is glued. It has a rosewood fretboard and is bound on both sides and the end with cream colored binding. It has the traditional rectangular abilone fret markers like any lespaul, and black dot markers on the edge, the nut is black. 8-[ It has a neck pickup with the initials OBL. The humbucker is a SeymourDuncan, I know cause I took it out. The knobs are black and the tone Knob is a push-pull for the humbucker. It has a three position switch. It is really in nice shape with a few edge scratches. The bridge and tailpiece are chrome. As far as the sound it is really sweet and it keeps tune well, oh yea, the tuners are or look like

grover but dont say so anywhere. Someone has removed a sticker from the back of the headstock, which probably indicated it's origin. So there it is , anybody know about this guitar, I don't expect much but there is always that hope that it is [img]a collectible[/img]

Yes I realized I left it out after I closed' date=' it is: in ink, I962157, with a capital letter I. Let me Know, thanks Peter.[/quote']

The guitar was made in Korea at the Saein (Shine) factory. The serial number is a bit strange and seems to be missing a digit. My instincts and the greater likelihood say it was made in February of 1996 but it's also possible (but far less likely) it was made in June of 1999. Double check the serial number you've posted. If I recall the Coronet reissue came along in the early 90's and the first version was a USA-made model but yours isn't one of them because the serial number format was different. The Korean version came along a bit later (c.1994 ? ) The sticker that was removed said "made in Korea". The Seymour Duncan was an after-market modification. The "OBL" was original. I'd guess at a value of probably $250-$275. Again, check that serial number so it can be pinned down when it was made.

...and Al's your uncle.

Hello everybody.....

Iconoclast...I was looking at your avatar...and could'nt resist to change mine for the best one...Lollllllllllllllllll

You know, I've been looking over the standings trying to sort out who will be playing who and guessing the possible match ups and outcomes and I thought to myself: A Detroit/ Montreal final series would be a dream come true for me. I grew up in Detroit and back then there weren't a great deal of Red Wing games on television but being so close to Windsor there was always Hockey Night In Canada on Saturday night so I grew up watching a lot of Maple Leafs and Habs games and the Canadiens were one of my childhood favorite teams. It would be so cool if two of the original six teams made it to the finals and like I said, I'd love to see Detroit and Montreal in the finals. Good luck to both teams.

...and Al's your uncle.

Hi . I have an Epiphone Coronet and it is hard to determine it's age or vintage' date=' I don't think it's too valuable but it is an odd duck. It has metallic red opaque finish and the pick guard is a white tortise shell or abilone, of sorts. The head stock is 6 in line on the top, with a batwing lower edge, and the face of the headstock is a veneered red metallic same as the body. It sort of looks like a Fender headstack, but different. The neck is maple plain sawn and joined in the traditional manner so you can see the seam where it is glued. It has a rosewood fretboard and is bound on both sides and the end with cream colored binding. It has the traditional rectangular abilone fret markers like any lespaul, and black dot markers on the edge, the nut is black. '](*,) It has a neck pickup with the initials OBL. The humbucker is a SeymourDuncan, I know cause I took it out. The knobs are black and the tone Knob is a push-pull for the humbucker. It has a three position switch. It is really in nice shape with a few edge scratches. The bridge and tailpiece are chrome. As far as the sound it is really sweet and it keeps tune well, oh yea, the tuners are or look like

grover but dont say so anywhere. Someone has removed a sticker from the back of the headstock, which probably indicated it's origin. So there it is , anybody know about this guitar, I don't expect much but there is always that hope that it is a collectible

These were '90s reissues of the '60s Coronet, but in reality they bear only a superficial resemblance to the original. The OBL pickups were original designed by Bill Lawrence (oBL) in the '80s, here's what the Bill Lawrence website says about the deal with Gibson:

While Bill was working with Gibson in the 80's, they used a substantial amount of his German-made OBL pickups on several of their Gibson models. When Bill left in 1989 to complete the R&D for a small program of noisefree pickups that could reproduce the tone of traditional single coil pickups, Gibson told Bill that they wanted to continue using the OBL pickups, so they made Bill a fair offer, both parties agreed on the price and they made a deal.

To his surprise, Gibson decided not to use Bill's original OBL designs but used the "OBL tradename" on a line of inexpensive Korean-made pickups. The Gibson OBL pickups on the Epiphone guitars are NOT designed by Bill Lawrence, and Gibson has no legal right to use his name in connection with these pickups.

The bridge humbucker should be an OBL as well, someone swapped it out for a Duncan. BTW, this is not the only copyright problem BL has had with his pickups. I get the feeling he's better at designing pickups than he is with legal matters.

Unfortunately, there's not too much demand for these guitars.

Archived