Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge P-90 On G-400

Fadedepi

what do you mean how it worked out?

they have them in humbuck size so they pop right in.

I use p90s on two of my epis and I love them for the neck position..

the mud is gone.. the clarity is great.. the highs and mids are much better to 'my' ears.

they sound good with a humbuck in the bridge, too.

I've been thinking of a humbuck in the bridge on my studio with the p90 at the neck but I haven't had time to wire one in yet.

TWANG

I'd be worried about putting a lower-output pickup like a P-90 in the bridge position with a higher-output HB left in the neck. Usually you want it the other way around; I think TWANG's approach of changing the neck pickup for a P-90 style makes more sense, as evidenced by the success of Gibson's BFG model.

I put a P90 in the bridge of my Gibson SG and it was amazing. The BFG argument is good, but the Les Paul Junior is better, to my mind. Nothing beats a P90 in the bridge. But I don't really like high-output pickups. Let the amp do the work.

I should have noted. thanks rotcan.. that the KA's come in two models. one of which is higher output.

9K will keep up easily with any vintage output humbuck.. not a very good match if you're running what seems to be typical nowadays, higher output.. around 13K.

If you have a 8 or slightly above K neck humbuck, the 9K p90 will be a very good match.

Another thing to my ear is the difference in p90s when close/far from the strings..

it's worth some extra diddling around to find the sweet spot on a p90 and in my experience it takes more diddling around, too.

But you can compensate for volume differences and get very good sounds from a combination, too.

The think about high output humbucks to me is they just don't get the tone I want.

epi seems to be using higher output almost all the time.. so measure your pups with an ohmeter and take that into account.

Today, I put a GFS Mean 90 in the bridge position on my G-400. Leaving the stock Epi 57HB in the neck position. I now have that nice chime of a P90, a great sounding combo (57HB & P90) together, and the vintage 57HB by itself. WOW!! Like having a new guitar.

Fe.

Archived