Gibson Brands Forums

Low E buzz

Danno719

I am having a problem with my low E string buzzing and just not sounding right even though my electronic tuner says it is in tune. It is an LP 100 I just got and it still has the original strings on it. Would better strings help, or what kind of adjustment can be made to help?

My low E is pretty bad but I can even hear some on my A string too. I’m just starting out so it could be just me. Any tips on finger placement besides keep it close to the fret to keep buzzing down?

Change the strings out before you do much of anything. The stock strings suck and no telling how long they have been on the guitar.

Capt

Any sugestion on type/brand of strings. How are GHS extra or ultra light Boomers?

I like Ernie Ball 10's but, a lot of folks like the GHS Boomers. There are a bunch of different companies out there that make very good strings, Go grab a few brands to try out..just remember that you need to keep em in the same gauges unless you don't mind setting the intonation with every string change. 9's will play easier but 10's will have more tone.

Capt

Changing the strings would be the first thing I would do. Then check the bridge height on the low side. You may have just lowered the low side of the bridge too much. Past that, there are other problems that may exist, such as a nut slot cut too low (only buzzes when played open), truss rod/bridge adjustment (buzzes all the way up, especially in the high frets), high frets (buzzes in one area of the neck). Youj could also have a pickup adjusted too close to the string. The magnet can capture the string and affect the sinusoidal vibrations and change the sound. This usually gets worse the farther up the neck you play.

I've only got the one lp 100 for reference.. but it's only fret problem was the low E and A strings.

I straightened the neck and checked fret height and sure enough, they were a tad off from about the second fret to the fifth.. more or less, on

each low string.

So I levelled them.

However, it wasn't much, I was just being picky.

A string change and raising the bridge slightly should do it.

measure after doing this, from the bottom of the low E to the top of the 17th fret.. string open.

check agaist gibson spec.. or any general spec.. 3 to 4/64s is where it should be.

If it's prolematically higher, then it's most likely the same problem and you need a little levelling.

I could be wrong.. that is, mine was like that, and that's what cured it.. so..

TWANG

Archived