Gibson Brands Forums

String Gauge for Epi G-1275

robertf

What gauge strings come on the 12-string neck from the factory. I'd like to stay with the OEM size, as the set-up is pretty good right now. The guys in the shop where I bought the guitar can't agree on the string gauge, even with a caliper... Any help is appreciated.

Caliper shmaliper. I keep some short 4" lengths of strings, a .042, a .046 and a .052; you can usually figure it out pretty quick by comparing these to the E string. However sometimes you have to use a bit of judgement as all strings are not equal and one brand's 42 may be a little thicker or thinner than another's; however you can usually figure out if it's a 42 or a 46 using these 'gauges' in a side-by-side comparison.

I haven't seen much difference in gauges between different brands of electric 12-string sets. I use Webstrings 12-string set. The gauge for the standard strings are, high to low, .010, .013, .020 (wound), .026, .034, .042. The octave strings are .010, .013, .010, .013, .020 (wound), .026.

My G-1275 is a 1996, and I just bought it in January, so obviously I have no idea what came on it originally. But these strings are very comfortable on the guitar. I was able to lower the action quite a bit from where the previous owner had it.

Is your tailpiece farther away from the bridge? I've noticed most of the G-1275s are that way. My guitar has a tailpiece much closer to the bridge. That could be an issue with some string lengths.

Here's the spacing on my 1996:

EPEGDCCHCH-ketnyak.jpg

And here's what most of the G-1275s I've seen look like :

00015413-888893.jpg

Hey Guys:

Thanks for the responses. Mine is a 2005 with the longer scale tail piece. I know its a pain trying to find D and G strings to fit this thing. I had a Gibby version in the 80's with the same tail piece location and I found strings for it back then, so someone's gotta make'em.

G1275-1.jpg

I replaced the bridge pick-ups on both necks with Gibson 57 Classics and had CTS pots and installed. The guitar plays and sounds great now and is not unlike my old EDS-1275. I think it looks better with all the pick up covers on. The Original P-ups were pretty hot and measured 14.6 and 14.2, so the 57 Classics are a bit mellower.

Rob

Archived