Gibson Brands Forums

SH-5 in the bridge of my G-400

roninpsa

Hey guys. So I upgraded the pickups on my G-400 to Duncans recently, an SH-1n ('59) in the neck position and an SH-5 (Custom) in the bridge position. I wired them according to the diagram I received (also found here: SD wiring diagram). The SH-1n is a single-conductor; the SH-5 is a 4-wire. I'm having 2 issues, one major and one minor.

The minor issue: The '59 sounds great, but it rocks front-to-back with the slightest touch and usually settles unlevel. Not sure if it's anything to be concerned about.

The major issue: I'm getting almost no sound out of the Custom. As far as I know the wiring is fine. The only thing I changed was the wiring from the pickups to the volume pots. I had no problems before this.

The only 2 things I can think of that may be wrong are these:

1. The posts on the pickup are very low, almost flush with the pickup itself. Is that normal?

2. If a drop of solder dries touching the wood and the wiring, will that affect it?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!

I'd recheck my solder work and try again. Also, is it only quiet when played in middle position with both pickups active, or even when only that pickup is selected? Touching wood shouldn't matter, it's an insulator, so only the metal will conduct the signal.

The minor issue: The '59 sounds great' date=' but it rocks front-to-back with the slightest touch and usually settles unlevel. Not sure if it's anything to be concerned about.

2. If a drop of solder dries touching the wood and the wiring, will that affect it?[/quote']

The first item is pretty much the normal situation. Nothing to be concerned about.

Normally, no, but you might be creating a short to ground since the inside of the control cavity is coated with a black conductive paint.

And technically, solder doesn't 'dry'; it 'hardens' or 'solidifies' (cools).

I'd recheck my solder work and try again. Also' date=' is it only quiet when played in middle position with both pickups active, or even when only that pickup is selected?[/quote']

I soldered it twice with the same result. It's getting the quiet sound only in the bridge position. Since the neck pickup works fine, the neck and middle switch positions produce normal sounds.

Normally' date=' no, but you might be creating a short to ground since the inside of the control cavity is coated with a black [b']conductive[/b] paint.

That sounds like it could be it. So if that's the problem, could it result in the weak sound that I'm getting rather than no sound at all?

What did you mean the posts are flush with the PU?

On all my other humbuckers, the screws extend abour 1/16" above the surface of the pickup. The screw heads on the SH-5 are all about even, so I can lay a ruler flat across the pickup. Is that normal?

That sounds like it could be it. So if that's the problem' date=' could it result in the weak sound that I'm getting rather than no sound at all?[/quote']

Quite possibly. Loose blobs of solder are never a good idea.

On all my other humbuckers' date=' the screws extend abour 1/16" above the surface of the pickup. The screw heads on the SH-5 are all about even, so I can lay a ruler flat across the pickup. Is that normal?[/quote']

Yes.

On all my other humbuckers' date=' the screws extend abour 1/16" above the surface of the pickup. The screw heads on the SH-5 are all about even, so I can lay a ruler flat across the pickup. Is that normal?

[/quote']

I suppose that is a bit low for a bridge PU. What I do is finger the 22th fret and adjust the height of the PU till it almost hits the strings. I keep a heavy picks distance between the low E and a medium pick between high E.

On all my other humbuckers' date=' the screws extend abour 1/16" above the surface of the pickup. The screw heads on the SH-5 are all about even, so I can lay a ruler flat across the pickup. Is that normal?

[/quote']Some of the poles on my Vintage Noiseless pickups are actually lower than the cover.

Hmm...I managed to misread this thread completely. The flat polepieces on my SH5 are... flat with the bobbin-surface. The adjustable row of polepieces follows the arc from the neckradius. With the high and low E being flat with the surface.

Some of the poles on my Vintage Noiseless pickups are actually lower than the cover.

roninpsa wrote:

That sounds like it could be it. So if that's the problem' date=' could it result in the weak sound that I'm getting rather than no sound at all?

Quite possibly. Loose blobs of solder are never a good idea.

roninpsa wrote:

On all my other humbuckers, the screws extend abour 1/16" above the surface of the pickup. The screw heads on the SH-5 are all about even, so I can lay a ruler flat across the pickup. Is that normal?

Yes.[/quote']

Thanks, just wanted to rule out as many things as possible. Seems like it's the extraneous solder. I was hoping it wasn't because it's a pain to get out having monster hands like I do. Does anyone know a way to get rid of it without a solder sucker? (I know it's not THAT expensive, but I got a budget :op)

BTW, Thanks to everyone who responded so far! I didn't expect so many responses so quickly.

Buy some solder wick, it's braided metal that you set on top of the solder and heat with the gun. When the solder melts, it will wick up into the braid and away it goes. It's on a roll and it's fairly narrow, so it will reach spots your hands can't.

Metal paint eh? Didn't realize. I just assumed it was matte. When grounding something, usually you avoid paint as it doesn't conduct electricity well enough for a safe ground. Good enough for welding, good enough for me. Thanks for the info though, I stand corrected #-o

Archived