Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson-style bodies?

pohatu771

Is there anywhere I can buy Gibson-style, pre-cut bodies?

I'm considering building a guitar, but I'm not set up (nor do I have the ability) to cut my own body.

I'm thinking about doing a Les Paul Junior copy, as close to the '54 spec as I can.

All I've found, though, are Fender bodies.

[EDIT] Other than eBay, of course.

I don't know, but how about a suggestion.

If you're wanting to start that close to 'scratch' why not get the specs and find someone to cut it for you? That way, you could sand it down to the exact way you want it at least.

Come to think of it. . .:-

I'm thinking about doing a Les Paul Junior copy' date=' as close to the '54 spec as I can.[/quote']

Any Les Paul body you find 'pre-made' will be designed to work with a bolt neck. This is why there are mostly Fender style products; it's a lot easier to achieve authenticity since you don't have to open up the 'set neck' can of worms. If you want to be close to the '54 spec, you are going to want the set neck which pretty much means you are going to have to make it all yourself as there are no 'kits' for this kind of thing that I know of.

However you might want to look at Saga, I believe they have a Les Paul style kit that uses a novel neck attachment that doesn't look so obviously 'bolted on'.

http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/products.asp?CategoryID=4&FamilyID=2&BrandID=77

unfortunately this is a complete kit for an archtop-style Les Paul.

Is there anywhere I can buy Gibson-style' date=' pre-cut bodies?

I'm considering building a guitar, but I'm not set up (nor do I have the ability) to cut my own body.

I'm thinking about doing a Les Paul Junior copy, as close to the '54 spec as I can.

[EDIT'] Other than eBay, of course.

When Eddie Vanhalen made his guitar he went to one of the factories and he seen that they were getting rid of there probley B stock bodys and he asked if he could buy it and he did. Then he bought a neck and then he put the pickups in and the rest was history. Just thought I would add this tid bit.

Is there anywhere I can buy Gibson-style' date=' pre-cut bodies?

[EDIT'] Other than eBay, of course.

When Eddy Vanhalen made his guitar he went to one of the factories and he seen that they were getting rid of there probley B stock bodys and he asked if he could buy it and he did. Then he bought a neck and then he put the pickups in and the rest was history. Just thought I would add this tid bit.

I thought about the set neck as soon as I submitted the post. So maybe it won't be quite to the '54 spec, but it'll be similar.

I saw the Saga kits (and they were actually much cheaper at another site I saw).

The biggest problem I've seen so far is that they're routed for two pickups, when I would only want to put one in.

I also considered building a Telecaster Jr., but have the same problem with the routing.

Now this is just ridiculous...

This Les Paul Junior that Funkwire posted a few days ago is down to a few hours... currently, the price is $112, plus $22 shipping.

You can buy a brand-new Junior for $119 from most online stores, and some physical stores are still selling them for $99. Unless this is the set-neck version, which isn't mentioned...

Now this is just ridiculous...

This Les Paul Junior that Funkwire posted a few days ago is down to a few hours... currently' date=' the price is $112, plus $22 shipping.

You can buy a brand-new Junior for $119 from most online stores, and some physical stores are still selling them for $99. Unless this is the set-neck version, which isn't mentioned...[/quote']

What's even more ridiculous is when the same Jr has a a "blem" and is auctioned on ebay as a "project guitar" and sells for around the same price...

That one goes on the watch list.

That Junior I talked about yesterday ended at $164, plus shipping.

Maybe I should buy a few Juniors (which are still $99 at the local Guitar Center) and resell them for profit.

Archived