Gibson Brands Forums

EVJ+MG15MS (marshall micro stack) questions...input welcome

i've already got the micro stack and after hooking the head up to my buddy's line 6 spider II 212 combo it really got me thinking about getting something to hook mine up to. i figured if 15 watts of marshall can give a 120 watt solid state some balls and WAY better distortion, then if i plugged into an EVJ and hooked it up to the marshall input, i'd be able to get some huge cojones out of some small packages

things i am not sure about

the speaker outs on the marshall are 16 ohm. could i use the 16 ohm output jack on the EVJ straight into the marshall input and let the marshall worry about driving the 2 10's? would i lose all my tube sound through the marshall or would it basically act like a distortion pedal from hell (i hope it's the latter)?

how retarded would it be to build an EVJ head into my mg15ms head (the head works perfectly)? on ebay someone is basically selling the guts of an EVJ minus the chassis. i'm not big into wiring (only redone some guitar wiring) but i'm a pretty quick learner and as long as there are diagrams i can likely figure out what i'm doing without getting electrocuted. i've always thought about building a tube head into the marshall eventually and this would definately be the way to go about it since i could mod it later and add settings/knobs

assuming worst case scenario that i can't hook up both heads together, how would i go about hooking up two 16 ohm speakers into the EVJ? would i lose a lot of sound by using a Y out from the EVJ? which output jack would i plug into for two 16 ohm speakers put in parallel?

general EVJ questions...is there any point to getting the combo since i already have 2 10" speakers? is there some sort of way to rig multiple speakers together (of similar or dissimilar ohm ratings) so i won't be itching to go buy a 4x12 cab?

If any of these questions or plans are retarded please flame away, but if you or anyone you know has tried any of these please fill me in. i don't know much, but i know i am already in 200ish on the marshall setup and want to try something tube. i WILL be getting some sort of EVJ, so i guess my final question is really what's your opinion of the best way to combine these two.

the speaker outs on the marshall are 16 ohm. could i use the 16 ohm output jack on the EVJ straight into the marshall input and let the marshall worry about driving the 2 10's? would i lose all my tube sound through the marshall or would it basically act like a distortion pedal from hell (i hope it's the latter)?

Wait' date=' did you just ask if you can take [b']power amplified output[/b] and plug it into low level input into another amp????

You own a fire extinguisher right?

Wait' date=' did you just ask if you can take [b']power amplified output[/b] and plug it into low level input into another amp????

You own a fire extinguisher right?

no, but i own a computer that takes me to all sorts of internet sites with smart asses who can teach me stuff i don't know through minor ridicule. now, that said, the marshall has a CD input (that i assume can take a powered output?). minus hooking the EVJ output straight into the guitar input of the marshall, is there a way to make this work using full capability of both amps and both speakers?

Interesting. I'm honestly not sure of the operation of the "CD" input. Also I'm not sure of the "full capability of both amps," sounds like you're being eclectic; though, if you plug it up and it sounds good, it sounds good, regardless of if you trashed the signal and messed up the tone (hey, come on, overdrive is tubes FAILING TO DO THEIR JOB CORRECTLY).

Here's what I would do:

Check your manual to see if it is okay to plug just one of the cabs into the Marshall head. If it is okay, plug the Valve Junior into one cab and plug the Marshall head into the other cab. Get a "Y" cord and plug into both inputs of both your amps.

You cannot combine the outputs of both amps and run them into both speakers easily or safely.

tung

NO!

Do Not Plug The Output of 1 Amp Into The Input Of Another Amp. That will Damage both amps. If you use a y cord to play both amps at the same time you will more than likely get a ground loop hum....the correct way to do that is with an amp combiner which buffers and distributes the signal to both amps. You can also do a mod known as the firezog on the valve jr output that will allow you to send the signal to a PA or another amp. I think the mini stack has what they call an emulated line out which can drive another amp......so if the marshall has a line out you can plug that into the valve jr input but not the speaker out in either case OK?

ok so no speaker outs to amp inputs, i understand. not to worry, i used my line out to plug the marshall into the line 6.

in reference to the question about running the marshall head without the speaker outs, it says not to power it on without the loudspeakers connected, but i have used it with a single cab multiple times with seemingly no negative issues. i have run it with ONLY line out to the line6 and neither amp screwed up but i will likely not do that anymore.

if i want to hook up both as is, it's looking like i'll have to plug my guitar into the marshall amp with one cab hooked up, have the line out from the marshall go to the EVJ input and have the EVJ hook up to the other cab. does that sound like a winner...err at least like something that will "bring the house down" without literally burning the house down? it would open up ridiculous tonal variety having two different outputs but i really want to have the tube amp first. the bitmo 10-uator looks like something ill have to check into. from the looks of it, i could get a v3 combo amp and use the 8" as well as both of my 10"s via the marshall head since the 10uator has line out as well as a separate speaker out that claims to be adjustable from 4, 8, or 16 ohms

thanks for putting up with my severe case of stupid, you guys are a TON of help. to be honest im surprised you havent run me off to a marshall forum to see if any of them have done this.

if i want to hook up both as is, it's looking like i'll have to plug my guitar into the marshall amp with one cab hooked up, have the line out from the marshall go to the EVJ input and have the EVJ hook up to the other cab. does that sound like a winner...err at least like something that will "bring the house down" without literally burning the house down

Yup that's OK.

excellent. now that ive got most of the theory straightened out i've just got to decide head or combo and if i want to wait for a good deal or say **** it and pay full retail cause i can't wait any longer. hopefully i post back relatively soon with a **** eating grin plastered on my face.

The head and cab sounds better to me plus I've had tube rattle problems in the combo, YMMV. I hear the newer combos have a better speaker.

On the other hand, head+cab half stack costs twice as much. The speaker is awesome though, maxes at 70W so if you have other 50W etc amps you may enjoy the extra cab.

The head and cab sounds better to me plus I've had tube rattle problems in the combo' date=' YMMV. I hear the newer combos have a better speaker.

On the other hand, head+cab half stack costs twice as much. The speaker is awesome though, maxes at 70W so if you have other 50W etc amps you may enjoy the extra cab.[/quote']

well im kinda attached to the micro stack, for 15 watts it cranks (distorted anyway...). the fact that ill probably keep it unless someone wants to make an interesting trade for it leaves the valve jr combo or head as a great option to not confine myself to marshall distortion (the stack is kinda weak on clean since they didnt add the clean channel until the second model) without having to use pedals. plus i want to make people wonder how the hell i can get all that sound from a bunch of little boxes. from what i've been reading the v3 combos are pretty much as good as the heads have always been and they have an eminence speaker which i guess is an improvement (don't know a lot about speakers)

Rig a NFB circuit into the marshall? Get a bigger OT? I dunno. NFB is cheap if you're comfortable doing it (solder speaker out to second gain stage in and lift second gain capacitor, in the VJ.. simple enough, easy to control by switch. don't know specifics on your amp).

Your Marshall's a silicon amp? Not sure how to NFB that, or if it'd help (probably not, hard cut-off means hard cut-off).

If what you are going for is a clean tube sound and your Marshall sound, then going from the marshall to the VJ will not give you any more clean than what your Marshall can produce....instead, I would suggest an AB switch that you plug your guitar into and then run one cable from one output of the AB switch to the mini stack and another cable from the AB switch to the VJ combo. The best of both worlds at your feet.

interesting thought on the switch, but i'd probably only use it at home and i could just switch amps. considering the micro stack doesnt allow a foot switch, i dont get too worried about changing tone mid song unless i can do it from my guitar. i'll probably try to get a new combo and if i get bored with it i'll check into mods.

Archived