Gibson Brands Forums

EPI VJR or G-Dec Jr?

really depends on what you want, a small modeling amp or a small tube amp. i say the valve jr just because it gives you less distractions so you'll have to focus on your ability to play guitar and not your ability to change amp settings. but if you like a lot of different sounds and kinds of music the g dec might be a better option

I just got a VOX DA10 - new baby... it's amazing - much better than the G-Dec - $199 and modeling is an understatement! I played the G-Dec's but this new VOX (just came out) will be an instant hit! 2 - 6.5" Special Vox Speakers, can run on batteries like it's little brother the DA5, has a power squeezer on the back - set it wide open - 10 watts, 1.5w or .5w - and NO CHANGE IN THE TONE whatsoever - just the volume.

The amp models (11) are groups of 2 & 3 - clean (clean 1, 2, & 3, etc.), Blues, crunch and hi-gain - the last one is DRIVE. The effects (11) are grouped in pairs and individuals too - REVERB, CHORUS/REVERB, DELAY, ROTARY/DELAY. etc. Every kind of effect you can dream of - Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay, Chorus, Compressor, Reverb, Rotary, Auto-Wah, etc. - the pairs are nice as an old Roland from the 80's I have has effects but only 1 at a time can be used - the pairs are great and actually a lot of thought went into pairing them up. There's a TAP button for selecting the speed of certain ones (tremolo, chorus, rotary, etc) - just "Tap" the beat you want - and an edit knob and a bypass button - the different effects are completely customizable by holding one or the other of the buttons and turning the edit knob or just turning the edit knob by itself - the manual has a great chart showing the customizations and what to use to change the attack, the speed, the resonance, the sensitivity, etc. - in no time I had it fairly well figured out (but I keep the manual open next to it for quick looks). It's actually well designed. It also has a Noise Reduction feature for the High Gain settings and can be adjusted as well from the Edit knob and bypass button.

It has the most amazing tone - I have 7 amps right now including 4 tube amps (2 VJ's) and this baby is totally amazing. It almost sounds like there has to be tubes in it! Overdrives more like a tuber than a SS and you get all the pickin' dynamics of a tuber - the harder you pick the more OOOMPH you get... no other SS amp I own or have played can do this like this VOX can - amazing! Hardly No reviews anywhere yet as it's so new, but I'm writing one right now and will be posting it on all the amp forums including Harmony Central. I can't stop playing it and I have others to play on - I'd rate this baby an 11!

If this is any indication of what Vox can do I'm a Vox fan for sure after this.

The VJ is a guitar amplifier.

The G-dec is a learning tool which will amplify your guitar.

I love the VJ. But I'd always caution someone to be reasonable.. quest for tone is a great thing, and much fun,

but so are all those features one can find in 'learning tool'plifiers...

If you have a system already.. something you can plug a cd into to jam with or use method or artist DVDs or CDs...

then you need the Gdec less.

If you have some pedals already, you can get more out of them through the VJ.

So it depends on what gear you already have and what you need this gear for the most.

For starters.

At 150.00 a person ought to be able to spend a lot of time learning on the Fender and then buy himself the real tube amp for a congratulation.

TWANG

I have to disagree with strangedogs. I've got a Vox DA 20 and it certainly has the bells and whistles and is a pretty good SS amp in it's own right the Valve Jr just kills it for tone. The DA 10 would be a good buy if you'll be satisfied with decent SS tone in one little package, but once you start adding pedals to the Vj the improvement in tone quality is obvious. All this is subjective of course so your best bet is to try before you buy.

Without having intimate familiarity with either of these products, it would appear that they're not apples to apples at all, and, for a beginning player, the Gdec might, in fact, be the favorable offering. It offers backing instruments and drums, which I would personally value and rate very highly as a beginning (or seasoned, for that matter) player. Let's face it, few beginning players are all that concerned about tone, and I doubt that any would be able to discern much difference in the modeling capabilities of either amp. For the raw beginner, it would probably boil down to features and price, more than anything.

I have to disagree with strangedogs. I've got a Vox DA 20 and it certainly has the bells and whistles and is a pretty good SS amp in it's own right the Valve Jr just kills it for tone. The DA 10 would be a good buy if you'll be satisfied with decent SS tone in one little package' date=' but once you start adding pedals to the Vj the improvement in tone quality is obvious. All this is subjective of course so your best bet is to try before you buy.[/quote']

I have 2 VJ's and still think the DA10 is an amazing lil' bugger. Never owned a modeling amp so maybe it's "infatuation" but I do have 4 tube amps (including 2 ALL TUBERS from the 60's) and I think I know what tone is... TONE is nothing to do with tubes or SS - it has to do with "the beholder"... and I behold the DA10 to have great sounds and would make a perfect beginners amp or a kid's 1st amp (even though I've been playing since the 60's I'm still a kid at heart). The reviews I read (HC) said the DA10 actually sounds better than the DA20 - not sure why that would be as the 20 has bigger speakers and more wattage...

But as I always say - "90% of tone is in the fingers - the other 10% is all the junk ya' got wired together".

I'm lovin' mine and haven't turned in a tube amp or plugged in a pedal in days!

The DA 10 may very well sound better and I don't totally disagree with your review they do have some nice features. I had intended (at the time) to buy the AD30VT, but after I tried the DA that was sitting next to it that's what i bought. This Vj though (I have the V3 combo and head/cab) is really something. If you get a chance plug a POD XTL into your Vj. i won't need anything else unless i start to gig and even then I may just mic it.

Archived