Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Junior -- Bass amp?

The most you could do is shred the speaker. You're not liable to get much clean volume, however, and it's probably not going to sound very good, because it's an open back, vs. closed back cab. I'd probably opt for a small wattage SS bass amp, myself. Probably the same general price range, and undoubtedly a better sound for bass.

The most you could do is shred the speaker. You're not liable to get much clean volume' date=' however, and it's probably not going to sound very good, because it's an open back, vs. closed back cab. I'd probably opt for a small wattage SS bass amp, myself. Probably the same general price range, and undoubtedly a better sound for bass. [/quote']

yeah my behringer bx-108 bass amp cost 69 bucks BRAND NEW, has an 8 inch speaker and beats the living snot out of my VJ as far as bass amplification is concerned. even though the behringer is a practice amp and the VJ is going through a 12 inch speaker, the VJ simply will not stay clean loud enough for bass.

• 5 months later...

problem is that a VJ's output transformer doesn't go down in Hz enough from what I understand, along with that bass notes require more power from the power supply otherwise you'll run out of juice to power the note correctly.

(Remeber the bass is what and octive lower that a guitar).

most bass players need a lot of head room, which the VJ just won't have much of... just my opion.

Archived