Gibson Brands Forums

I gots me some wigglestick issues...

metalhed717

You could use a whammy pedal.

but dont those only give the trem effect to a certain beat (bad way to explain it, i know)

i'm not sure if that would work, the song is Eye of the Beholder by Metallica... but i think the notes i nedd the trem for are equally spaced apart... it might could work

I think you're required to use an ESP with a Floyd Rose for all things Metallica. lol

One thing I wouldn't recommend is a Bigsby. I thought they were way more whammy like until I got my WildKat.

You'd destroy the guit in one shot trying to use it for something like that.

I don't know of any pedal type things you could use either because of what you pointed out. It'd have to be something you could control 'bends' on with your foot.

I don't know how stuck you are on using the SG, or if you're that stuck to Epi.

Either way, these can be had on the bay from time-to-time. I think I paid $150 shipped for mine.

Granted, it's got a Steinberger trem, and mine's missing the bar. . .but still.

epistrat004.jpg

I think Floydzed meant the digitech whammy, which has a footpedal that controls the pitch of the signal (and does a lot of harmonizing tricks, too). You probably know that already, but I'm not quite sure of what you meant by "to a beat." Cool as the Digi Whammy is, it still won't really sound like a floating trem, sounds digital, you know what I mean? You don't get the added grittiness of the strings actually slackening. Also, it's 200 freakin dollars.

I've used that trick 13y mentioned a lot too, but you can't get down much more that a half step doing that, and I don't think you'd want to try. Great for adding a little Bigsby style swoosh to rung out chords.

Blah Blah Blah I'm full of information that is not helping you at all, bottom line is, you'll probably just have to work around that solo until you get a guitar with a floater.

thanks for the replies everyone. i asked my guitar teacher the same question and he said that basically either you have it or you dont. darn, i guess i'll have to get another guitar... :-D

maybe when i get the prophecy SG with the EMG's ill go all the way and find a trem for it

Another trick is to change as thin strings as possible (.008 in set) and then press the string tightly on fingerboard, creating slight vibrato. You need really thin strings for that (bends are also easier with thin strings) but be careful not doing the Pete Townsend thing - you can also break the strings easily

Another thing you can do is play a note or chord (let it sustain) and then press down on the string(s) ABOVE the nut. It tightens the strings and INCREASES the pitch (rather than decreasing like non-floating trems).

i dont think i have enough time between the notes to do that.

oh, and that particular wigglestick is working fine ;-D

Archived