Gibson Brands Forums

tube screamer vs attenuator on VJ

wpkg

So... what difference in sound is there between an attenuated amp like the VJ on full blast, vs that same amp at a lower volume with a tube screamer going full blast right in front of it?

and if I wanted something like a footswitchable drive channel on my VJ, would I want something like a tube screamer or something more like a clean boost? I find that I loose too much of my sound with a distortion pedal.

Thanks!

Paul

The amp at full blast will be full of power amp distortion, which will give you a very good distortion. It will sound more like the amp.

With the tube screamer, you'll probably get more distortion (maybe, I've never used one) because as a pedal, people want it to be somewhat versitile. It won't sound as much like the amp.

You'll probably want to get an attenuator for a better sound, but attenuators suck a little tone.

But if you want the foot switchable drive channel, you'll need the tube screamer. The clean boost will only make you sound louder, unless you already have an overdriven amp, then it just adds a little more volume, but more gain and compression.

If you're finding you loose too much sound with the distortion pedal, find one that is true bypass, you won't loose any tone.

Hope I helped.

An attenuator will slightly change the sound of the amp. Aside from the fact that there's less speaker movement at lower volumes, there's also a slight compression effect that occurs as well, in proportion to the amount of attenuation applied.

Still, a cranked tube amp is preferable to a pedal, imo, and a cranked tube amp driven hard with a pedal is even bette.r

Sounds like somebody needs to go shopping for an attenuator and a clean boost or overdrive pedal!

An attenuator will slightly change the sound of the amp. Aside from the fact that there's less speaker movement at lower volumes' date=' there's also a slight compression effect that occurs as well, in proportion to the amount of attenuation applied.

Still, a cranked tube amp is preferable to a pedal, imo, and a cranked tube amp driven hard with a pedal is even bette.r

Sounds like somebody needs to go shopping for an attenuator and a clean boost or overdrive pedal! [/quote']

Definitely agree..., and if you do go shopping... O:)

I am loving my new TUBE CUBE attenuator ($80-140 "vspeeds" on ebay) with the Keeley/Boss BD-2 Blues Driver (hear sound clips at www.robertkeeley.com) overdrive in front of my ver. 3 Jr. head. The BD-2 is similar to the Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer but warmer and with more mid tonal range -- better for blues and vintage rock styles. The screamer may be geared more towards heavy rock/metal and shred soloing, so go for whatever suits your style.

Either way, the cranked tube tone potential of the little Jr. has to make it one the best tube amp buys of the century! =;/ How Epi ever allowed this thing out the door for under 120 clams is a monumetal happening for we budget players.

Hit every BLUE NOTE, baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived