Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SlagJones

VJ vs Champion 600

Ok, I did a search and pretty much came up with zip.

Anyone tried both these amps and what are the main differences? I know this is an Epiphone forum so there may be bias, but that's OK, I would still love to hear people's thoughts on these two small tube amps. Thanks.

The main differences are that the Champion 600 has 2 Inputs, a 6V6 instead of a EL84 power tube, and a smaller speaker. The amp itself is tiny too, but looks incredible. When I played it, it sounded good, but I had just bought my Valve Junior, and I still liked that better. Not much in the way of aftermarket for the 600, i've only seen the mercury transformers mods, but im sure that you could tinker with it. They are quite different, just try and find a guitar center or something and try them side by side.

The main differences are that the Champion 600 has 2 Inputs' date=' a 6V6 instead of a EL84 power tube, and a smaller speaker. The amp itself is tiny too, but looks incredible. When I played it, it sounded good, but I had just bought my Valve Junior, and I still liked that better. Not much in the way of aftermarket for the 600, i've only seen the mercury transformers mods, but im sure that you could tinker with it. They are quite different, just try and find a guitar center or something and try them side by side.[/quote']

Ok, sorry for the dumb questions but, what does 2 inputs give you? When would you need that?

What's the advantages if any of 6v6 vs EL84 or vice versa? Is it just a difference in tone? Thanks.

I just wish I had a Guitar Center near me. Closest one is 3 hours away.

I'll say this much. I played the 600 and compared to my V2 VJ it sucked..

the six inch speaker did that for it. BAD idea.

So I thought well. it seems crappier completely compared to mine.. maybe the 12" speaker was the main reason.

but then I got a VJ combo with an 8" speaker..

and I'm sure the VJ blows that fender, both stock, right out the room. tone and volume.

So.. 70.00 more for what? a 68K and a 1M input jack?

we all change the 68K to 1M on vjs.. know anyone who uses the dampened input on a fender?

Again... buy a combo.. and you'll be better off, bigger speaker, better tone, less money.

Buy a head/cab and you spend 50.00 more and blow that fender off the stage.

tinker just a little with the VJ and you get even better.

so.. for me.. that fender is all nameplate.

Epiphone rocks!

Ok' date=' sorry for the dumb questions but, what does 2 inputs give you? When would you need that? [/quote']

The extra input doesn't allow you to have two guitar inputs. You can use the second input to chain your guitar signal to a second amp using it like an effects loop. Sometimes the inputs will actually drive separate channels. Here's an example w/ a JTM and a Junior.

000_0380.jpg

000_0381.jpg

Channel 1 is chained to channel two, with a short jumper, then the second channel input goes up to the Junior. The open port is for the guitar. All that is there at the jacks is just raw guitar signal to both amps.

What's the advantages if any of 6v6 vs EL84 or vice versa? Is it just a difference in tone? Thanks.

These are the output tubes. A 6V6 is stronger, so it would be louder.

An EL84 in single-ended A mode does 5.7 watts max signal output at 250V plate voltage. It has 10% harmonic distortion at this voltage. (We point 340 in that direction... what's the OT drop this to?)

A 6V6 in single-ended A mode does 2, 4.5, or 5.5 watts max signal output depending on plate voltage (180, 250, 315). At 315V plate voltage it has 12% harmonic distortion, while the other levels give it 8%.

I've got both. The Champ I have is brighter and harsher, and doesn't produce as creamy a distotion as the VJ. I think the 600 is less versatle, and probably ideal for that chicken pickin' type sound.

Red 333

I don't think it's fair to compare these two amps. They're entirely different creatures. The Champion was one of the first amps that Fender made, and is all about that ancient vintage vibe. Amps really weren't lauded as great snarling, distorted tone beasts until the 5F6-A Fender. You could throw both the late 50's champs and deluxes in as interesting amps capable of serious grind, but both still cop a lot of that early vibe.

The vjr was more designed to give the type of distortion and tone that players tend to favor today. We have to remember that, it really wasn't until the mid to late 60's that distorted amps became popular, so amp designers didn't build them with distortion in mind. Fender was doing everything they could think of to minimize distortion, and even Marshall introduced their 18 watt 1974 model as a "clean amp."

Some of these early amp designs just happened to sound fantastic when pushed to clipping. Some sounded loose, weak, and flubby. Again, they weren't designed to be pushed to distortion. However, whether they produce a tight, focused overdriven sound or a loose, flubby overdriven sound, that is a hallmark signature of that given amp, and is a part of what makes the amp unique and worthy. Many great songs were recorded using tweed Champs. Few would consider those to be stage-worthy amps for guitar, but it's impossible to deny that they have their place. Same with the 600. Take it for what it is, love it or leave it, but don't compare it to a modern amp that's designed for fat, crunchy, distorted tone.

I don't think it's fair to compare these two amps. They're entirely different creatures. The Champion was one of the first amps that Fender made' date=' and is all about that ancient vintage vibe. Amps really weren't lauded as great snarling, distorted tone beasts until the 5F6-A Fender. You could throw both the late 50's champs and deluxes in as interesting amps capable of serious grind, but both still cop a lot of that early vibe.

The vjr was more designed to give the type of distortion and tone that players tend to favor today. We have to remember that, it really wasn't until the mid to late 60's that distorted amps became popular, so amp designers didn't build them with distortion in mind. Fender was doing everything they could think of to minimize distortion, and even Marshall introduced their 18 watt 1974 model as a "clean amp."

Some of these early amp designs just happened to sound fantastic when pushed to clipping. Some sounded loose, weak, and flubby. Again, they weren't designed to be pushed to distortion. However, whether they produce a tight, focused overdriven sound or a loose, flubby overdriven sound, that is a hallmark signature of that given amp, and is a part of what makes the amp unique and worthy. Many great songs were recorded using tweed Champs. Few would consider those to be stage-worthy amps for guitar, but it's impossible to deny that they have their place. Same with the 600. Take it for what it is, love it or leave it, but don't compare it to a modern amp that's designed for fat, crunchy, distorted tone. [/quote']

very true... for what its worth i think the cleans on the champ 600 are WAY WAAAYY nicer than the VJR. thats why i will buy one. but then the overdrive on the VJR is WAY nicer than the champ.