Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Standard Pick up Problem

laztradamus

I just got a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and the thing looks and sounds pretty damn good for the price I got it for. Only problem I found was the neck humbucker pickup, when I tilt the guitar forward, comes out and hits the strings. Basically, if you held the guitar with the pickups facing the floor it's fall out if the strings weren't there. I don't know how to adjust these or if I need to replace it or whatever. I've only been playing for less than 3 months so I'm relatively new. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.#-o

As far as I can see from the outside, all the screws are there. I don't know anything about these internally. I'm a true beginner, and dont' want to be taking this thing apart unless it's an easy fix. I'll try to post a pic later so you can see it when I get home. I just bought it from a guy, it looks great there and played fine. Then I got to my bros, started playin more then the thing just bounced out and hit the strings lol. My jaw obviously dropped. And it was a private sale for $200..the thing is in good condition besides this for that price IMO.

Awesome guys thanks for the help. I'll be able to take a look at that in a few hours, and I'll let you know if that solves the problem. I appreciate the quick help, I'm a brand new owner and poster and I figured this was the best place to come. haha

I've seen some pickups that use small pieces of plastic tubing instead of springs, so if nothing is there holding the pickup in place, you may find that easier to find. You should cut it slightly longer than you estimate needed for proper pickup height. The adjusting screw will squish it if you cut it long (within reason), but if you cut it short, there's no difference from what you've got now.

I didn't read everything so pardon me if this is answered.

sounds like the screw is no longer tight in the mounting ring. I'm talking about the pickup height adjustment screws.

If the hole is widened there, so that the screw can pass through without threading.

in other words if the hole is wider than the outside thread..

then the pickup will flop out toward the strings if you hold it upside down, or even less.

replace the pickup mounting rings and your problem would be solved.

this is only if the springs are weak... and sometimes you get flimsy ones..

or if they are gone.

By the way since you're going to have to pull those pups anyway.. a little foam beneath them helps to keep them level and look real sharp and sound their best. about 3/8" under each one. should be some king of fairly stiff foam.

TWANG

Archived