Gibson Brands Forums

new to guitars

tlens22

I need some free advice. I am fairly new to the guitar game. I have an epiphone g-400 electric guitar. I just recently restrung it myself. I think I did a pretty good job. However, when I tuned the guitar (and every time I tune it now), it seems the 6th and 5th strings constantly "buzz." I realize the strings are probably to close to the fretboard. I played a little with the stuff in the bridge area, raising and lowering, and nothing seems to work. Now I fear I've played with it too much. Could it just be the strings? I bought Super Slinkys by Ernie Ball. I will try any advice given, but I'm wondering if I should just stop messing around and get maintenance on the guitar.

How do I set the intonation? And what are the guidelines?

The quick answer is you play a string open, tune it (I suggest using a tuner..), then play that same string at the 12th fret and see if it's sharp or flat. Then you fix it by adjusting using the saddles (where the string rides on the bridge).

For a longer answer... I checked google and this page looks pretty complete. I didn't read the entire page, but I'll assume it's correct:)

http://www.guitarattack.com/repair/intonation.htm

I really hate to dump on any advise given here but intonation isn't going to make any strings buzz. Intonation is part of the tuning procedure. It sets the exact length of each string between the nut and bridge. I won't go on about that anymore. A nut which is too deep will cause strings to buzz when played in the open position. If you fret a string and it still buzzes, it probably wasnt the nut in the first place. I would suggest you either set it up to the basic manufacturers specifications first and go from there or take it to a tech' to give it a good going over (setup). The neck needs to have a certain amount of relief and the strings need to be a certain height above the frets in order to minimise or eliminate buzz. Both adjustments are the absolute minimum involved in a setup.

Not intending to insult anyone here but are you tuned to the correct E & A? If you are lower in tuning, the strings will rattle and buzz. There is a ton of information online dedicated to guitar setup.

Good luck with it dude.

you may have to set the intonation on the bridge or replace the nut

How long have you been playing guitar?

Because if you know what intonation means than you would know that it has nothing to do with buzzing strings.

How could it possibly? And to just say to replace the nut without any questioning is just plain ignorant. I don't care how old you are- STOP trying to be the first one to answer a question. Because you usually give a wrong answer.

And one of these days somebody is going to think you know what you're talking about and follow your advice.

We are all supposed to be here to help each other. Not try to race and be the first one to give the answer- A WRONG ANSWER! Do you know what the word humble means? Or humility?

You would do yourself a service to learn what they mean, and try using a little once and awhile.

Best advice is to take it to a tech and have him check it out...will be the best 20 to 40 bucks you will spend, If the guy is good he will even help you understand what he did and why to fix the problem...because when you try to do it next time (and you will..lol...it's how you learn!) he gets to set it up again](*,) Good news is after that, you should be able to do it yourself.

:P

Capt

Look around, you should find somebody to give you a free diagnostic on the cause of the problem. You may need to loosen the truss rod a bit. But there are a few things that could be causing it. So take it to someone who knows what they are doing. It's worth it. Have you got any friends or co-workers you could ask? One really has to look at it and play it to determine the true cause of the problem.

I need some free advice. I am fairly new to the guitar game. I have an epiphone g-400 electric guitar. I just recently restrung it myself. I think I did a pretty good job. However' date=' when I tuned the guitar (and every time I tune it now), it seems the 6th and 5th strings constantly "buzz."

[/quote']

How long have you been playing guitar? May well be your playing-style that has the strings buzzing, no offence. Something to consider before tinkering with setup or spending money on one.

Hi tlens22,

What you experience is called "fret buzz". It is usually encountered on a new, unworked guitar, and it is due to too little curvature on the neck. Likewise, if you change strings to thinner grade, you are likely to encounter fret buzz.

Fret buzz is removed by setting the action (height of the strings off the neck) high enough and CAREFULLY adjusting the neck iron, called "truss rod". If you are new to guitars, it is better to leave adjusting the truss rod to professionals. Anyway, you need to loosen the truss rod - turn the Allen screw at base of the headstock 1/6th turn left so that your neck becomes more concave.

The ultimate way to fix the fret buzz is to GENTLY sand the fret with 1000 to 1200 grade wet sand paper. This should not be done if the fret buzz can be get rid of by just adjusting the bridge and truss rod.

The ultimate way to fix the fret buzz is to GENTLY sand the fret with 1000 to 1200 grade wet sand paper. This should not be done if the fret buzz can be get rid of by just adjusting the bridge and truss rod.

... and the ultimate safe way for a newbie to fix the buzz is to have a tech set it up, as we all know sanding a fret too low is irreversible.

Raising and lowering the bridge can be easily adjusted by the end user. It is the fist thing I would try.

Find the Epiphone User's Manual for instructions. Follow the advice in the manual to bring string height back to factory specs. (I'm not sure of the link to the manual, but I think you can find it on the Epiphone site, or with a google search)

If that doesn't work, I'd take it to a guitar tech. If you are taking lessons at a local music store, if you bought it from a local music store, or if you are a regular customer at a local music store, there is a chance that you can have it adjusted for free or for a minimal charge. As long as you can afford it, it will be worth the money. A well-adjusted guitar plays better, and for an inexperienced guitarist, an easier to play guitar will help you improve your skills as a guitarist much quicker.

Note: An inexperienced person can ruin a guitar by attempting to adjust the truss rod. Don't do it if you are unsure of what you are doing.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived