Gibson Brands Forums

Pots for Epi Les Paul

Garvoon

I've put Gibson '57 Classic/Classic Plus pickups in my Epi quilt top (blue) Les Paul. I want to put in new, better quality pots ... any preferences with either Gibson or DiMarzio pots? I'm assuming I'd need to use the long shaft as opposed to the short shaft.

Also, would it be advisable to put in new caps or just continue using the originals?

Curiosity - What's the advantage of using a 1 meg pot as opposed to a 500K pot.

Thanks!!!

PS - Those Gibson '57 pickups really sound GREAT!!!

caps depends on what the originals were.

I sometimes think I can't hear a difference, and other times it seems I can.

So I always swap out to Sprague Orange Drops and if nothing else my guitar guts look dramatic.

1M pot will be brighter.

pots. CTS Alpha CGE are the usual choices.

Most choose CTS.

I've replaced dozens of pots in Epi Les pauls. They take a short shaft. I recommend CTS 500k pots all the way around. You can get them from Allparts. While your at it why not change out the pup selector switch with a Switchcraft toggle switch.

yep.. I skipped the short shaft comment. sorry.

no long shafts.

and I kinda buggered that caps comment, too.

sometimes I don't think I can hear much difference as to BRAND.. other times I think I do.

But, VALUE changes, definately are audible.

I don't think I'd use 1M. go with 500K and if you want more bright.. switch to .01 or .015 caps. stock caps are .022.

That will give you some extra treble.

I've just been reading a guys site who uses 3300pF and up caps. who claims they work much better.. never have tried them, but ordering some to try and see if this really does make a difference in the smoothness of the tone pot.. and a better high end rolloff..

One think I noted was that he claimed the tone pot only worked with standard values through a limited range of the pots path.. but mine work nearly all the way to the bottom.. pretty smooth now in fact. *just rewired the sheri*, so I'm interested in this and will follow up after I try it.

I'm an allparts dealer by the way.

I don't care about where you go for stuff, I'm not relying on this for business.. but if you want someone who's around and you can complain about publically.. I may be handy!

yep..

I don't think I'd use 1M. go with 500K and if you want more bright.. switch to .01 or .015 caps. stock caps are .022.

That will give you some extra treble.

I've just been reading a guys site who uses 3300pF and up caps. who claims they work much better.. never have tried them' date=' but ordering some to try and see if this really does make a difference in the smoothness of the tone pot.. and a better high end rolloff..

[/quote']

Explain to me Twang, how you can get more brightness out of using .01 caps on a

LP. I've tried them on my Epi LP Custom and frankly, I didn't notice any difference.

unless of course..you are going into a F*nder amp.....that "raucaus sound" that

Ted McCarty (used to) complain about. Aren't you just changing the curve a bit

on the tone pot?

-Check out the matched set from Wymore Guitars. That's where I bought them for mine, but it was called Black Rose Customs then. Four matched CTS pots and Orange Drop caps for $26 and change shipped. And yes you should just get the short shaft pots. All of the pots I got were rated between 505k and 515k. The stock ones I pulled checked out between 397k and 510k.

L8R,

Matt D.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Mar/Auditioning_Tone_Capacitors.aspx

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Apr/Auditioning_Tone_Capacitors_Part_II.aspx

Capacitors are often used in electrical and electronic circuits as energy-storage devices. They can also be used to differentiate between high-frequency and low-frequency signals. This property makes them useful in electronic filters, and that´s exactly what we use them for inside our guitars. Basically, our passive tone control can be used to dampen the high frequencies. When you close the tone pot, it rolls off the treble response, giving a more mellow tone. Adjusting this control affects the sound very noticeably, but it still is quite recognizable as the same guitar.

A basic rule for tone caps is that the bigger the cap, the darker the tone. Depending on the cap’s value (capacitance), the effect can reach from “slightly warmer” to a “woman tone” all the way to “completely dark and clinically dead.” Remember, the tone cap is always part of the guitar circuit and it even influences the tone when the tone pot is fully opened.

just for starters. but it's all over the web.

this works with any guitar, or amp.

it isn't that the cap adds brightness.. it's that lower values allow more treble through.. want full blast..wire straight to the output.

still too dark? replace pups.

" My tip is to try 2200pF, 3300pF, 4700pF and 6800pF and listen to how they interact with the tone and taper of the pot. Chances are good that you will like them!"... Dirk Wacker

TWANG

Good description of the tone filter. No arguement. I did raise an eyebrow at your recommendation of 2200pf caps though. A 2200pf cap is a 0.0022uf cap. This (in my opinion) is a little too low in capacitance to be effective at the frequencies we're talling about. I've tried a 0.001uf (1000pf) for experimental purposes and it had no effect across the range of the 500k tone pot. As usual, I stand corrected.

A basic rule for tone caps is that the bigger the cap' date=' the darker the tone. Depending on the cap’s value (capacitance), the effect can reach from “slightly warmer” to a “woman tone” all the way to “completely dark and clinically dead.” Remember, the tone cap is always part of the guitar circuit and it even influences the tone when the tone pot is fully opened.

it isn't that the cap adds brightness.. it's that lower values allow more treble through.. want full blast..wire straight to the output. still too dark? replace pups.

[/quote']

He has some interesting comparisons there...from 'woman tone' to 'clinically dead."..

Well, it is an RC network. I would think that a humbucker with it's 8K to 13K series resistance,will add

something in any case. But it's the capacitor's reactance to frequencies which is the key thing,

even though it sounds like he's (Dirk) talking single coils.

Well, I'll have to grab a mittful of cap values .01/.015 and the pf values and see if it makes some difference on

the bridge pup, where I would expect it to be the most effective.

Man, what a ton of info on caps. Fascinating stuff ... thank you all.

On another note, replacing the switch ... All-Parts has a medium and long switch (for Les Pauls). Seeing how the Epi pots use the short posts (insteead of long as in a Gibson), what's recommended here? Medium or long. Or, Gibson or DiMarzio? What works best?

THANKS!

Archived