Gibson Brands Forums

Off-Topic: Mini/Headphone Amps

stumblinman

After reading reviews on various mini amps, I finally decided on the Danelectro Honeytone (in aqua, I might add) and I am amazed by it's quality sound, both clean and overdriven. I was just curious if any of you guys had any of the belt clip type headphone/mini amps and what your impressions were of the various ones available. I was almost sold on the Marshall MS2, but the lack of tone knob and reliability issues I read about steered me more towards the Danelectro. I'm a huge fan of Dano, I have their Fish and Chips EQ pedal, the Fab Distortion, and now the Honeytone amp, and all have been great. But I'm seeking personal experiences with the amps available. I hear great things about Vox Amplugs, but they are strictly headphone. Seen a few other generic ones, but mainly it seems to be between the Marshall and the Dano. Any others I missed or that I should be made aware of?

Fender has a couple of models, too. Mini Twin, Deluxe and Tone-Master.

Unfortunately I haven't tried any of them.

228633.jpg265349.jpg265545.jpg

I have the Marshall and while it's okay, the sound isn't very good except when driven hard with low battery when it starts to break up nicely (but the speaker still sounds crap) and naturally the amp on it doesn't have what it takes to drive any bigger speaker.

I got a "digitech RP 50" to play with headphone

it's a battery powered modeling preamp and offers good sounding amp simulation, FX effects and drum patterns

you can use it also as a preamp in guitar amps or PAs or the aux input of HiFi amp

I use a Korg's Pandora DX4 for my headphone Amp. Its about the size of a pack of cigs. I use it for headphones, but it has an out too.

Its also an MEfx/Amp Modeler with some decent patches that are adjustable. (tone/gain etc). There's a ton of beats too with bass accompaniment , again all editable. There's a newer version out so the 'four's are on sale at most places.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-KOR-PX4D-LIST

I'm amazed at what they can pack into such a small unit, this thing is literally the size of a pack of smokes, or a deck of cards. I usually only use mine when I travel.

I've seen some guys mod the Marshall to push a 4 ohm speaker cab, but can't imagine much volume coming out. I had heard of the Fenders, but completely spaced on them when writing the post. I was more curious about the ones that include speakers, because that way I can chase wife, kids and dog around the house annoying them =P~

The modeling gear is always fun to play through, I have an M-Audio for my computer I use for the VST plugins. The technology these days is amazing for modeling tones.

Archived