Gibson Brands Forums

[b]Masterbuilt - AJ-500R or DR-500R or 500M's ???[/b] NEED HELP

SCSTRUMMER

I am new to the Epi forum and I am looking to get either the Masterbuilt AJ-500R or the DR-500R. I finger pick about 50% of the time and strum the rest. I was able to play a AJ-500R at a local Sam Ash store. It was the only Masterbuilt model they had in stock. I was blown away buy the tone and volume but I am wondering how it compares to the DR-500R.

When I was finger picking on the AJ I noticed the bass was a bit over powering at times. I had to make sure that my thumb didn't hit the low E to hard. I love strong bass but not too strong. Just wondering if anyone has compared the AJ-500R to the DR-500R and what there thoughts were. Is the DR a little less bassy, more bassy, or balanced when compared to the AJ?

Of course I didn't have the opportunity to play the Mahogany models but I'm assuming they wouldn't sound as rich as the rosewoods. Mahogany owners feel free to voice your opinions.

Thanks!

I have a DR00M and AJ500M, and the AJ has deeper bass response and a more focused sound overall than the DR. You wouldn't say the DR sounds bad, though. It just sounds different. Of my two examples, I might describe the DR as being the glue in mix--a nice wash of sound--while the AJ cuts through the mix more and articulates individual notes better.

I also have an AJ 500R, and it DOES have a tremendous bottom without sacrificing any high end. However, if I had to choose between my AJ500R and AJ500M when fingerpicking, I'd choose the AJ500M, as the high end sparkles a little more. The bass response is not as booming, but it's very focused. That may be my technique and proficiency as much as the guitar.

I've never played a DR500R.

Red 333

if your interested i just posted a aj500r and hard shell case on acoustic forums sale site 550 including shipping. new at the beginning of feb. just came across a ton of dental bills[wish i was a dentist].lol i can post pics. also emmonst on ebay. sold about 4 guitars there and all great ratings. going on ebay this week. can post pics

I agree with what Red says here:

I have a DR00M and AJ500M, and the AJ has deeper bass response and a more focused sound overall than the DR. You wouldn't say the DR sounds bad, though. It just sounds different.

I had both too and now just the AJ500ME. The AJ seems to have a tighter response all the way around. To my ears they do not sound at all like Gibsons. The Masterbuilts seem to be voiced in a Martin sort of way, and they do a very good job at it.

I have a J45 and the AJ sounds nothing like it. I played both the R's and M's before making my choice. They are all sound good. The R's will have more of that dry sound to them while the M's sound full.

Check out the AJ really good first and make sure you are getting the newest one possible check the serial numbers inside to see the build date. As a few others have posted here I'm also having the top issues with my AJ. While my bridge is not lifting off, the rear of the guitar behind the bridge is raising and getting pretty humpy plus it is starting to have a rattle in it. I think maybe a fan brace has given loose. Mine is a 2006.

I never had a problem with my DR and am sure they use different bracing in that model. I'm not sure if Epiphone has the bridge/ bracing on the the AJs figured out yet.

Just make sure who ever you buy from you get all the warranty info, card, booklet etc.

Archived