Gibson Brands Forums

VALVE JR WITH SINGLE 12 CAB OR 4X12?

REGNAD

looking to buy a valve jr head. Should i go for the single 12 cab or a 4x12 "trigger" cab? I'm going for the best sound for Pink Floyd. My concern is the capability of driving a 4x12 and the low end. I dont need volume, just quality. If the 4x12 has the same drivers in it as the single 12 i could add a mod switch to flip from 1,2,and 4 drivers. any thoughts? Cost is a factor though.

regnad

looking to buy a valve jr head. Should i go for the single 12 cab or a 4x12 "trigger" cab? I'm going for the best sound for Pink Floyd. My concern is the capability of driving a 4x12 and the low end. I dont need volume' date=' just quality. If the 4x12 has the same drivers in it as the single 12 i could add a mod switch to flip from 1,2,and 4 drivers. any thoughts? Cost is a factor though.

regnad[/quote']

Here is my own personal experience:

I like small amps through 4x12" speaker cabs. It makes for a huge sound huge. As you've correctly guessed, you get a tad more volume with bigger speakers/cabs or multiple speakers but with a 5W Valve Junior, you probably won't have enough power or clean headroom to gig. I could be wrong though.

The deciding factor in speakers is sensitivity. This is expressed in dB/watt/meter. That means if you have a speaker with a sensitivity of 100, you will get 100 deciBels when you put one wat of power into the speaker and measure the output 1 meter away.

It hardly takes any power at all to drive most guitar speakers. A 5W amp will drive a 75w guitar speaker just fine. In fact it will drive a 300w 4x12" cab loaded with 75watt speakers just fine.

OTOH, I know some players like to push a speaker to its limits. Pushing a 10-25w speaker with a 5W amp will give you speaker distortion, which some like.

So again, it's not how much wattage the speaker is rated for, it is how sensitive it is.

This is just my own personal opinion. I'm sure others will chime in here to give theirs.

tung

I get argued with on this.

I've not used a 4X12 with it.

I've used the 8" combo speaker, the vj cab speaker, two 12"s and a combination of one 8" and one 12".

The 2X12 sound to me was sort of muted.. not as powerful.. just something vaguely less..

the 8+12 on the other hand was pretty darn good.

I want to try a single 10" with a single 12" because I think that would be the best.

I don't think you ought to listen to me though, because you may have different 12"s to listen to.

It seems to me you're trying to use 5 watts to push 4 pretty big cones.. 1.25 watts each?

And there's another thing repsonsiveness. lows. I don't see how 5 watts can be at it's best pushing that much air.

If the 12"s were high enough efficiency, then I think two of them could be dynamite.

"The 2X12 sound to me was sort of muted.. not as powerful.. just something vaguely less..

the 8+12 on the other hand was pretty darn good...."

I agree with Twang on this one. These 3 clips are with an 8" 16 Ohm eminence and a 12" vintage 30 16Ohm with voxy mods. Although I like the 4x12...I like 1x12 and 1x8+1x12 best of the combinations I've tried so far with my Valve Jr's.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCN2FtONBfE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKMM38Faj7U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBLeBHmA9HQ&feature=related

Edit :also just FYI the SoCal 4x12 has the same drivers as the valve jr not the triggerman.

Archived