Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special at MF for 699.99

oldpriest

technically, the yellow is "worn" while the cherry / brown are "faded"...and anyway, price differences for colors are common

enough

I am pretty sure that elitist SG is a glitch...you can't actually order it because it hasn't existed for about a year...

There was a clearance elitist sg on MF for $602. I don't know if it's there anymore though...

I check the guitars on sale literally daily on MF, and I pulled the trigger on this guitar immediately, and I was STILL too late. :- That thing disappeared faster than a fart in a windstorm.

I agree. It feels cheap to me. When I pulled one off the wall for the first time I gave it a few strums unplugged and then had to look down to make sure I didn't accidentally grab the wrong guitar. Nope, it was the Gibson.

I think it feels cheap because it's lighter. The extra weight of the finishing materials in a Standard make it feel like a higher quality instrument.

That being said, when I pulled the Gibby LP in Vintage Mahogany off the wall, I was extremely impressed. I didn't think it felt cheap in any way, even though it doesn't have the same finish. I'm actually still in love with that guitar... :-

Also, I know people say the thin finish helps the guitar resonate, but I don't see it at all. If you tap the Standard on the body with your finger, it makes a deep, rich noise. If you tap the Faded on the body with your finger, it sounds more high pitched and almost twangy. I also saw these differences when playing them unplugged - the Faded seemed less rich and "mahogany-sounding" than the Standard. But maybe that's just me. My wife often accuses me of being hard of hearing. :-

Archived