Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie needs help

Latem

Hello I just got an Epiphone Les Paul Special Edition II Player Pack (black). The guitar seems fine, and everything seems to have come OK. I have never played guitar before, and I am just trying to learn so please forgive my ignorance. I put the strap on the guitar, and put the instructional DVD in and started watching it. My first comment is that my Rhythm/Treble/Both switch doesn't seem to be like in the video. It isn't "switchy" at all. I can hardly move it in any one direction, and it doesn't really stay anywhere but in the middle. It doesn't "click-in" up or down. I can unscrew the little black plastic head on the switch some (or all the way off), which lets me move the switch a little more, but again it doesn't behave like an actual switch (like in the movie). It doesn't "click in" up or down. Just stays there, kinda in the middle. Also I plug my guitar in the amp, plug the amp in the power, and set the knobs as in the video. I turn the amp on, and the light turns on, and the speaker seems to be on. If I play anything it doesn't sound anything like in the video. It just has the same "acoustic" type of sound. Nothing seems to register. Can't do anything like the guy in the video. The guitar just sounds dead. Turning volume or the tune knobs on the guitar doesn't seem to do anything, and the sound doesn't change. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.

Latem

Really? That sucks. I ordered it from musiciansfriend.com. Getting this resolved will probably be a pain. Or at least I'll have to send it back, and wait another two weeks. :D What I find strange is that the little switch lever doesn't seem to be physically able to be turned any way. It's like it's too far into the guitar body or something. The little lever head is all that's visible of the little switch lever. It doesn't really look like a switch at all (like in the video) Hard to explain. But otherwise it doesn't seem to be really loose or broken. That's why I thought I am doing something wrong. It's just like the switch can't physically be switched, like in the video. Any other opinions/comments?

Maybe the switch lever got pushed into the switch mechanism. Probably shipping damage. You should be able to return it and maybe they will ship it back out overnight or 2 day? Call customer service and see what they will do for you to make you happy.

I agree. It really sounds like the switch has been punched in during shipping. They normally come with a small piece of foam over the switch to help prevent that from happening. If your switch is not like the one in the video I suggest contacting the shop and asking them for advise on the return procedure.

I've dealt with Musician's Friend before and they sent me one busted amp and two broken guitars... My advice is get a refund and go to Sweetwater.com instead...

Failing that, they recommend that you have the replacement shipped by FedEx instead of UPS.. I don't know why they don't use FedEx in the first place if they have better luck with them...

I've dealt with Musician's Friend before and they sent me one busted amp and two broken guitars... My advice is get a refund and go to Sweetwater.com instead...

Failing that' date=' they recommend that you have the replacement shipped by FedEx instead of UPS.. I don't know why they don't use FedEx in the first place if they have better luck with them...

[/quote']

Heh, the reason I stopped buying from MF was because I requested they mark my account to ALWAYS use Fedex. They refused. Said I could always call after each order and request Fedex, and they would consider my request. When I told them I had simply phrased it politely, and it was really more in the nature of an instruction than a request, and they refused again. I called, after 2 emails, and told them I would not purchase from them, as I was involved in a dispute with UPS and did not care to muddy the waters. Man on the phone told me MF would be sorry to lose me as a customer, but it was, after all, MY choice not MF's. I've spent a lot of money at other online stores since then. About 5 years now, and I still won't buy from them, even though the UPS situation has been resolved.

Edit:

I've decided he was right. It's still MY choice...

After I got my second broken Junior from MF, the guy on the phone said: "What you SHOULD HAVE DONE is placed your order by phone and told them to use FedEx instead..." In a real snarky tone, like it was MY fault for being so stupid to place my order on-line and use the only shipping option that's available!

And they don't care if they lose you as a customer.. They know there's a million more out there in cyber-space to take our place... That's why their customer service is so shoddy..

You won't have any trouble at all returning it to MF. I've done it a few times with absolutely no hassle whatsoever. Yeah, Epi is famous for crappy switches. I've replaced them on most of my Epis. Even when they work, they tend to crackle like crazy every time you switch pickups.

Call them today & tell them what happened. They'll email you a return label. Stick it on the box & send it back & they'll send you a new guitar. No hassle.

Remember, just about everybody working there makes minimum wage.

Well, I just opened'er up, and it is definitely the switch by the looks of things. There is a little ball part in the switch lever, that has holes on each (opposing) end, and a piece of metal goes through it that is connected on each side of the cylindrical hole socket where the switch rests. Thus allowing the switch to be in place and move in the three positions. Somehow the little lever was hit that bad that the small metal rod that goes through the lever got completely broken on both sides, and the lever got pushed all the way into the switch socket. So I am going to check a couple of music shops tomorrow and see how much switches cost. I imagine replacing this would be cheaper than me sending the guitar back ($50 for shipping, unless MF pay for shipping?). I think I should be OK doing this myself. I just solder the wires correctly? I found some diagrams here:

switch link

and I thikn I should be OK. Any advice, comments, or things I should keep in mind regarding replacing the switch? Also from googling around I read on one site that Gibson Les Paul 3-way switch isn't compatible with Epiphone Les Pauls? Is this true? I am thinking if there is choice to be made on what brand of switch to go with I should just go with some generic 3-way switch (if the prices are a lot different), that looks like the one linked above (which is exactly what the one in my guitar looks like). Anyway any thoughts are welcome. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Latem

I would call customer service as well, see what they will do for you. Maybe they will knock something off the price? Chances are they will just say to send it back cause you're gonna get someone that really can't authorize much more over the phone.

That being said, I have changed the electronics and pickups in 4 of my 5 Epiphones. They all worked fine when I got them, I just didn't like the pickups, so I gutted them. Do you have a local music store near by that sells Epiphone? If you do, they will service it for you if you don't want to do it yourself or send it back. It will still be under warrantee. Just bring in the receipt.

Gibson switches will work. I'd put a switchcraft one in though, they are cheaper.

MF will pay for return shipping.. They e-mail you a label that you print out and attach to the box...

That would be less trouble... Of course, you'll have to wait a while for the new one to show up..

And if you do send it back, don't forget to tell them to use FedEx to ship the replacement!

nope,

just raisin' hell about pink ponies, then next thing you know......

POOF!

The Mod's worked their magic, and deleted his ***, and his silly posts.

I still swear by the fact that it was some poor lost soul from the Fender forums.

Archived