Gibson Brands Forums

Dot pickups.

marcbc

Hey guys. i have been playing guitar for about 2 years now and i was wondering how the dots were. i have an epiphone les paul standerd and gibson les paul studio and a sheraton II. i want to get a dot and play some black crowes and cream and stones tunes with it. reading some other messages i can tell that the pick ups that come with them stink but what do you think would be the best bet for it??

the pickups don't stink.

one of the reasons after market pickups are so popular now, is because people swapped out the originals.

that includes gibsons.

having gibson 57's is ok. not a thing wrong with it.

but you said black crowes cream and stones..there's quite a range in that.

Try to take a look around and see if you can find out what your fave tunes were played on by these guys.

clapton used p90s, keef was all over the place... I'm not sure what black crowes have thier guitars loaded with.

I'd hate to tell you to choose a paf or vintage style humbuck and then find out there were five other pickups used on what you

want to play.

I gave up on chasing tones a long time ago by modifying existing setups. If your looking for a a certain sound, then get the original equipment that will produce it. You will never get one guitar to sound the way that a different guitarist plays a different guitar, or the same on for that matter. for me "it's in the way that you use it" as the song goes. pup manufacturers make too damn much money as it is. They aren't going to get mine anymore.

bluesstringer. the problem with that is that you'd have to copy the amp, the effects pedals, the studio mic, the mix,

and often those classic sounds were in fact modified versions of the original amps and guitars, too.

I'm not arguing with you outright. strictly speaking of the guitars tone, it's a pretty good bet!

add to that playing styles.. the person doing the playing adds a lot, no doubt about it.

But I disagree about tone chasing.. for one thing, I don't really look for exact tones.. that would mean I'd be pretty much copying one guy..

and like the poster, I want a lot of sounds.

So, I look for a happy medium... a pickup or other, that will let me get a range of sounds from different sources.

I can copy BBs guitar fine.. but then I'm lost when I want to play ZZ.

all that being said.. I wound up loving p90s.. which don't 'really' sound like zz at all, do they? well, yes, they do if you just went from

beatles to bb to stones to zz.

and I think that most people expect to do that. they aren't focused really on just one sound or even the range of sounds from one classic pickup.

more focus is on several different players using different gear.. so tone questing seems pretty ok to me.

too bad the manus wont just swap with you though. *G*

I have:

An Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Epiphone G400

Epiphone Dot

the G400 and LEs paul have Seymore duncans in them, the dot still had stock epi pups...and besides being different guitars there is a HUGE difference between the dot and the other two...the pup upgrades made a huge difference in tone...

my dot is my favorite guitar but the muddy epiphone pups are soon to be replaced...i would NEVER not buy a guitar because of bad pups or electronis though as these are easily replaced...go for the dot

my dot is a 2005 so maybe the stock pups have improved...

Everything depends on the style of music you play. I've replaced the pickups in my two dots with a set of Gibson 490/498 after hearing them in my Gibson333. As a lead player, I liked the extra bite in the 498. In the other dot I've had installed a set of SD Phat Cats because I wanted the P-90 mojo. As has been mentioned, GFS offers a wide variety of Hums at cheap prices that will pretty much give you the sound you're looking for, whatever that may be.

bluesstringer. the problem with that is that you'd have to copy the amp' date=' the effects pedals, the studio mic, the mix,

and often those classic sounds were in fact modified versions of the original amps and guitars, too.

I'm not arguing with you outright. strictly speaking of the guitars tone, it's a pretty good bet!

add to that playing styles.. the person doing the playing adds a lot, no doubt about it.

But I disagree about tone chasing.. for one thing, I don't really look for exact tones.. that would mean I'd be pretty much copying one guy..

and like the poster, I want a lot of sounds.

So, I look for a happy medium... a pickup or other, that will let me get a range of sounds from different sources.

I can copy BBs guitar fine.. but then I'm lost when I want to play ZZ.

all that being said.. I wound up loving p90s.. which don't 'really' sound like zz at all, do they? well, yes, they do if you just went from

beatles to bb to stones to zz.

and I think that most people expect to do that. they aren't focused really on just one sound or even the range of sounds from one classic pickup.

more focus is on several different players using different gear.. so tone questing seems pretty ok to me.

too bad the manus wont just swap with you though. *G*

[/quote'] TWANG, I didn't intend to be inflammatory regarding the poster or anyone else. I guess I should have chosen my words more carefully. What you say is absolutely correct I was trying to keep my response short because i can tend to get wordy. I know people that work on their guitars much more than they play them because they are never satisfied with not being able exactly replicate the tone they hear from someone else's rig or in their head, and I've benn there too. I don't get to play enough as it is. My only point really was that I would rather play and if I need a different tone, I will look to anther piece of equipment.

Archived