Gibson Brands Forums

Trashed Epi on The Colbert Report

Prospero

Just saw The Colbert Report. He had The Roots on, and the guitarist was playing a trans-black Epiphone Alleykat. At the end of the show, he smashed it to bits. Beautiful guitar, sad end.

I'd link to a video, but Comedy Central hates Canadians, so I can't point you to it. (In fact, I can't even access the Comedy Central website from Canada at all, it redirects to Canada's lamer Comedy Network... I won't get into this lame censorship issue here, though.)

Still if you're interested in seeing a good Epi meet its end, check out the final minutes of The Colbert Report for April 15.

Personally' date=' I've always thought smashing guitars was pretty much a cross between childish tantrum and drowning puppies. Thanks, but...no thanks.[/quote']

Oh, I agree. I'm not mentioning this Epi sighting because I thought the guitar smashing was cool. Far from it. My wife looked over at me and said, "Now, why would he do that?" And I told her plainly, "Because, clearly he's an idiot." Although the reality was that since they were playing the Star-Spangled Banner, maybe they thought they were doing a tribute to Hendrix.

I mention it because it is a rather nice-looking, great sounding Alleykat, prominently played and displayed.

Although the reality was that since they were playing the Star-Spangled Banner' date=' maybe they thought they were doing a tribute to Hendrix.

[/quote']

What a waiste of a perfectly fine guitar.

Tribute to Hendrix? Ah..the frustration with lacking the skills and ability to sound anything like the original.

What? Kurt Cobain has been resurrected again? To me, destroying a good guitar no matter what

kind it is shows disrepect and a very childish mind. It may be entertaining to some and even perhaps

comical (hence Comedy Central), but if the guy had played some real music on that guitar and donated it to

some young 10yr old, he might have left some kind of lasting impression.

John Hiatt said it best years ago:

He threw one down from the top of the stairs

Beautiful women were standing everywhere

They all got wet when he smashed that thing

But off in the dark you could hear somebody sing

Oh it breaks my heart to see those stars

Smashing a perfectly good guitar

I don't know who they think they are

It started back in 1963

His momma wouldn't buy him that new red Harmony

He settled for a sunburst with a crack

But he's still trying to break his momma's back

He loved that guitar just like a girlfriend

But every good thing comes to an end

Now he just sits in his room all day

Whistling every note he ever played

There oughta be a law with no bail

Smash a guitar and you go to jail

With no chance for early parole

You don't get out untill you get some soul

Late at night the end of the road

He wished he still had the old guitar to hold

He'd rock it like a baby in his arms

Never let it come to any harm

Smashing a perfectly good

Good

Guitar

John Hiatt said it best years ago:

He threw one down from the top of the stairs

Beautiful women were standing everywhere

They all got wet when he smashed that thing

But off in the dark you could hear somebody sing

What are the chords? C, F, G7? Is this a poem or a song? And how exactly did

the beautiful women get wet when he smashed the..oh never mind..

I think I know... That was a Tom Jones thing.

I will not eat green eggs with ham,

Nor smash guitars made in Viet-nam,

I will play my Epiphones with flare,

and let the women throw their..umm...under ware.

For smashing instruments is not the proper thing to do,

Because when the wood becomes splintered and un-glued,

It makes a wretched chord and sighs,

"You had your chance, now it's your turn to cry!"

I've got mixed feelings.

On the one hand. plenty of good guitars wind up trash in the hands of the clumsy, ignorant, frustrated, etc.

on the other hand, showmanship is not a very good reason when you only need two seconds to hand that guitar to a kid who

can only dream about having one.

I did plant a Guild D25 into the wall years ago.

But I was severely drunk at the time and should have been arrested for both.

It wouldn't have been hard for a guy to buy a really not so good guitar.. set it up well enough for one performance and

let it die in a blaze of splintered glory.

But a wildkat?

sheesh.

try to think of your little brother or sisters face at christmas if you get an idea like that.

I knew a kid when I was very little, who got a pair of shoes for christmas.

a year later his dad strangled the entire family to death in their sleep.

then took the baby and hit a semi sideways at 110mph.

poverty eats the guts out of a human being. and I'll not listen to anyone who sees it otherwise.

and while wanting a guitar may not be on the level of that sort of poverty.. I sure as hell wish ol billy had at least had that epi

for a while.

TWANG

Don't know if you're kidding or serious' date=' but it's a well-known song by John Hiatt. Here's a clip of him doing the song live:

[/quote']

Looks like it's in G. Cool song. But what's the dude with the double cut semi doing at the

end? Pushing down on the headstock like that...I guess he'll be writing the

"Broken neck blues" next?

I just saw the show a half an hour ago! I was going to make a topic on this but I guess you beat me to it! Yeah, I coudn't tell what it was, but I saw the "E" on the TRC.

When I first saw it I was like, "Hey, what's he swinging it around for?" and then he smashed it.

I think he was actually pretty bad. None of his little "changes" to the song fit in very well.

If you guys think that's murder on a guitar, what about this: Link

They cut this poor guitar down the middle and put it on display!

I just saw the show a half an hour ago! I was going to make a topic on this but I guess you beat me to it! Yeah' date=' I coudn't tell what it was, but I saw the "E" on the TRC.

When I first saw it I was like, "Hey, what's he swinging it around for?" and then he smashed it.

I think he was actually pretty bad. None of his little "changes" to the song fit in very well.

If you guys think that's murder on a guitar, what about this: Link

They cut this poor guitar down the middle and put it on display!

I agree, but that LP went to a good cause, it gave it's life for science and research not stupidy and vanity. I hate seeing guitars destroyed in anyway. To me, it's like pissing on a Monet or Picasso, each guitar, is a work of art in it's own way.

Instead of smashing it, donate it to a school, unless of course they decided in all their brilliance that music class was an unneeded class. Pffft (forget all the studies showing students who take an interest in music generally do better in math, but hey, you gotsta cut the budget somewhere, or maybe we could just cut the pay of all the bloated fat cats in political office)

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now...

Archived