Gibson Brands Forums

Best Online Guitar Dealer

SlagJones

I've ordered online from both MF and Sweetwater.

Never had a problem with either one.

Ordered a Tascam DP02, a Boss Drum Machine, and a few other things from MF.

Ordered some effects from Sweetwater, as well as have 2 amps on the way from them. One is supposed to get here this friday, the other next monday.

I don't now about ordering a guitar online. I would prefer to play it first.

The $40-$50 some are charging for shipping on Ebay is RIDICULOUS!

No it isn't...Why dont you price a quality shipping box,packing materials and insured ground service.......it costs all of that to ship a guitar coast to coast well packed! Anyone who charges less than that is either doing a shitty packing job or making up for it in the price of the guitar. MF, Music 123, Sweetwater,Zounds are all about the same IMHO....the reason they ship for free is because of the volume discounts they get.

The $40-$50 some are charging for shipping on Ebay is RIDICULOUS!

No it isn't...Why dont you price a quality shipping box' date='packing materials and insured ground service.......it costs all of that to ship a guitar coast to coast well packed! Anyone who charges less than that is either doing a shitty packing job or making up for it in the price of the guitar. MF, Music 123, Sweetwater,Zounds are all about the same IMHO....the reason they ship for free is because of the volume discounts they get.[/quote']

Fair enough, but I have yet to see someone use the whole $40-50 on quality shipping. That's just been my experience, ymmv.

Fair enough' date=' but I have yet to see someone use the whole $40-50 on quality shipping. That's just been my experience, ymmv.[/quote']

I'm not a big seller,but when I do sell guitars on ebay it often costs me $40-$60 depending on where it's going. Also if the guitar is in a gigbag which I usually won't do the cost goes up for double boxes and packing materials. It is pretty expensive to do it right...and yes there are alot of guys out there who don't......may well be why there are so many broken headstock guitars around.

I'm willing to bet that lots of folks here have never tried Sweetwater. Their service is second to none, their prices quite competitive. I really like that everything there has free shipping, which makes buying small items a breeze.

And even though I've told them to stop it' date=' THEY DON'T!!![/quote']

Funny, Gary, I had the same complaint, especially the very-not-green catalogs they kept sending me. But I asked them to stop and they did. They probably just don't like you.

I've bought from MF, Zzounds, Music123 and Sweetwater, as well as a few others not mentioned. I have never had a problem with any of them. I bought guitars from MF and Sweetwater, both came without any problems. I will probably be buying from Sweetwater in the future though, simply because there is NEVER any shipping charge, no matter how small the purchase. I have spent as little as $30 and had no shipping charge, and I usually get in within a couple of days.

just bought a G-400 on MF for 250. considering they go for about that used, i don't feel ripped off at all with no tax and free shipping. also the whole "nobody else's greasy hands have touched it" concept with buying online is nice. i'm guessing there are going to be good and bad experiences just like buying from a real life retail outlet, it just takes longer to resolve problems online due to shipping. i'd probably never buy a "high end" ($1000+) guitar online though as that's too much money to not walk out of the store with it in your hands.

Archived