Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Knob Controls (UPDATE)

vince a

OK, I searched . . . didn't find what I needed . . .

I am and have been a Fenderman all my life, but recently purchased a Epiphone Elitist Les Paul that had a Tone Pros bridge installed, the fingerboard pleked, and the electronics (pots, switch, caps) replaced with Gibson's . . .

I've never fooled with a Gibson or Epi Les Paul very much, other than just picking one up at a store and playing a few licks! Just didn't like them!

So, I have a question on how the knobs are supposed to work:

When the switch is down . . . the bridge, yes, right? Volume controlled by the lower volume pot/knob.

When the switch is up . . . the neck, controlled by upper volume pot/knob.

In the middle position . . . both pickups are on, and volume is controlled by the lower bridge volume pot/knob?

This is the way mine works, and was wondering if this is correct, or was something changed during the rewire???

BTW, this Elitist blows away any Gibson Les Paul that I have ever played! What's a Fender?

Thanks in advance . . .

In the middle position . . . both pickups are on' date=' and volume is controlled by the lower bridge volume pot/knob?

[/quote'] Hmmmm .... I have an Epi std+, and when the switch is in the middle, each volume knob varies the volume of it's respective pup (so you can alter the mix of the pups to something other than 50/50 ...), until you reach the point of turning one knob all the way down, which cuts them both off - supposedly the "normal" set-up, at least for the "lesser" Epi LPs. But, I ain't no wiring genius, so hopefully someone will come along who is more knowledgeable than I.

Congrats on the Elitist - have heard nothing but great things about them !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Kramer-Focus-Faux-Strat for a while. The volume was master, one tone knob controlled the tone of the neck [N] pickup, the second tone knob worked the center [C] pickup, the bridge pickup had no tone adjustment. The 5 way switch controlled [N] [NC] [C] [CB]

I find the four knob adjustment scheme of the Gibson/Epiphone 2 pickup guitars much easier to use and more versatile.

What could make more sense? A volume and a tone for each pickup. And a switch that lets me play either pup or mix the outputs suits my brain just fine. I've used a lot of mixers for PA sets and for home recording and the Gibson/Epi method works just like the mixers I've used. I don't have to think much about it, but can intuitively make adjustments.

I'm sure there are advantages to the Fender way of doing it, but for the few months I spent on the instrument (not long enough to tell), I couldn't find any.

My partner's Parker confuses me, too. Two knobs, volume and tone and a 3 way switch - so far so good. Plus if you pull the knobs out, the turn the humbuckers into single coils and again volume and tone. But (here's the weird part) the push and pull vol and tone knobs seem to interact with the pull pickup when they are pushed and vice versa. Leilani gets some good sounds out of it (and the guitar's neck is better than my Epi or Gibby), but give me a vol and tone for each pickup any day -- that I can understand without taking my mind off the music to figure it out.

Insights and incites by Notes

Vince - Have to agree with RSDx on pot knob and 3 way switch functions 100%. I have one of the rare final production (2003) Epi Elite LP standards that is stock. It should be the same as your Elitist. At first, I had thought I may have had a pot problem also but a little careful attention to adjustments on vol pots proved all was well. Recheck yours and if it is only working on one vol pot in middle switch position, then there is a wire loose or connected wrong on vol pots.

What's a Fender?
Well' date=' to us ol' Gibson/Epi lovers it's one of the two metal things that make up the doghouse on an older model car!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

That's the normal set-up on a Gibson two-pickup guitar and Epis do the same thing. Basically as soon as you dial either of the volume controls down to zero, it shorts out the other pickup:

normal.gif

The thing is, if you want one pickup completely off, use the switch, not the volumes.

Vince - Thanx for the pics and your choice of the Elitist will seriously give you a much respected view of the other side. Congrats.....

RSDx and Steven Lister- I'm not sure I understand this completely. My Std must have been wired the alternative way by Samick.... (RotcanX posted the alternate schematic in an early post). When the switch is in the middle, I can turn one volume knob to zero and still get response from the other pup which to me is a plus. An interesting feature of this wiring, is that, when I switch to the active pup there is a noticeable volume/tonal change. I don't think that this has been metioned before but, when in the middle position and one volume pot is turned to zero, (with this wiring) BOTH tone pots are functional, therefore offering more versatility in tone which can attribute to the volume/tonal change.... Though the pic below may not clearly show the wiring path, you can see the setup. I put a dime in there to show how small these pots are.. I don't think I've ever seen a pot that small in diameter. (Volumes are B500K and Tones are A500K. Caps are 2A473J, which is probably normal for Epis); I dunno..... Whatever, its very versatile.......BTW, my Squier Custom Tele is wired the same way...

Epipots006-1.jpg

Notes - I'm with you on the basis of simplicity! "This knob works this and this knob works that"....But, the versatility of the alternate wiring offers soooo much more. (IMO)....

You posted "I had a Kramer-Focus-Faux-Strat for a while. The volume was master, one tone knob controlled the tone of the neck [N] pickup, the second tone knob worked the center [C] pickup, the bridge pickup had no tone adjustment. The 5 way switch controlled [N] [NC] [C] [CB] ". AND... "My partner's Parker confuses me, too. Two knobs, volume and tone and a 3 way switch - so far so good. Plus if you pull the knobs out, the turn the humbuckers into single coils and again volume and tone".

Never could understand why Fender or Kramer or whoever, had two tone pots and a 3 or 5 way switch. Back to SIMPLICITY: That's precisly why I had the toggle setup done on my Strat and added the Strato-Blaster. One Volume, (top knob), One Tone, (middle), and One Volume for the Blaster, (bottom), affecting all three pups inclusively, separately or in combination, i.e. [NCB], [N] [C] , or [NC] [bC] [NB]. In reverse of what Leilani's Parker setup is, with push and pull knobs to split to single coil, I have a mini-toggle, between the middle and bottom knobs, to activate the Blaster which boosts the signal and "assimilates" the humbucker.. I posted the pic below before, but this will show the toggle setup........J

BirdseyeAgain013.jpg

Archived