Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP distorts... any ideas?

mstreck

I have an Epi LP Standard in which I had Burstbucker Pro pickups installed.

Everything was fine for a while, but now (sometimes) the guitar unexpectedly distorts. It doesn't seem to matter what pickup I select or where I set the volume/tone levels.

I already know that it's not the amp or the cable. I've tried several of each.

This problem is intermittent. What could be causing it?

Thank you!

Mike

Intermittent problems with anything are a *****. If you can't make it happen, what's a tech gonna fix? I would operate and jiggle everything in any way I possibly could, including the wires inside until I could cause the problem consistently. Either it will reveal itself as something I could fix or a tech could then zero in on the specific cause and remedy.

Yeah. Sometimes it will go for weeks without doing it.

I found that the solder joint on the back of one of the pots came loose. Gonna solder it back on when I get a chance and see if that takes care of it.

Thanks!

remember to turn the pot all the way down first.

and don't count on the job as done. remove all the solder that's there, then scratch the back of the pot where you want to solder. then solder.

should work fine.

I have an Epi LP Standard in which I had Burstbucker Pro pickups installed.

Everything was fine for a while' date=' but now (sometimes) the guitar unexpectedly distorts. It doesn't seem to matter what pickup I select or where I set the volume/tone levels.

I already know that it's not the amp or the cable. I've tried several of each.

This problem is intermittent. What could be causing it?

Thank you! Mike

[/quote']

Intermittent 3 ways or pots can cause distortion. Normally they become "scratchy", but

if the pot is intermittent, it may come on full. Spray it with a good contact cleaner

and itry that first.

I got it soldered back on. but it didn't help the problem. :(

The guitar usually sounds amazing.... but when this happens, the notes on the lower strings will sound like bassy farts. Every note, regardless of the string, will be a little distorted, but the lower the note, the worse the distortion. Also, it sound like the high end has dropped off altogether.

It doesn't seem to matter which pickup I use, although the rhythm pickup is ever-so-slightly worse.

I got it soldered back on. but it didn't help the problem. :(

It doesn't seem to matter which pickup I use' date=' although the rhythm pickup is ever-so-slightly worse.

[/quote']

If both p_ups are affected, about the only thing common is the 3-way and the output jack.

Have you tried spraying the contacts on the 3 way? This definitely sounds like an annoying

intermittent problem. Usually one of the common replacement items is the 3-way, although

people have submitted ways of resurrecting them, if you have no way of soldering in a new

switchcraft 3-way.

If both p_ups are affected' date=' about the only thing common is the 3-way and the output jack.

Have you tried spraying the contacts on the 3 way? This definitely sounds like an annoying

intermittent problem. Usually one of the common replacement items is the 3-way, although

people have submitted ways of resurrecting them, if you have no way of soldering in a new

switchcraft 3-way. [/quote']

Heck, you can REPLACE the 3-way for next-to-nothing. I had stopped playing my LP for a while when I used to intermittantly lose one of the pickups... a bandmate asked to mess with it, and just replaced the 3-way. Been great ever since.

Heck' date=' you can REPLACE the 3-way for next-to-nothing. I had stopped playing my LP for a while when I used to intermittantly lose one of the pickups... a bandmate asked to mess with it, and just replaced the 3-way. Been great ever since.[/quote']

The reason I suggested it, was that the 3 way became intermittent on my Epi LP as well and

rather than mess with it, I just soldered in a new switchcraft...no more problems since then.

Don't know what it is about the asian made 3-ways...contact tension maybe?

Which 3-way switch would I need (regular or right angle) for an Epi Les Paul Standard (made in Korea)?

I'm at work right now so I can't take a look at the guitar, but I can buy the switch on my way home.

Thanks!

Mike

Which 3-way switch would I need (regular or right angle) for an Epi Les Paul Standard (made in Korea)?

Mines a MIK and it takes a SHORT 3-way. I don't think a right angle will fit in

the cavity for the 3 way on the MIK and a regular is for the 3inch archtop bodies.

Regular or the short one. Try Allparts. The right-angled one is for (real) SGs.

Well, I got a regular Gibson OEM 3 way and it's 1.75 inches long to the screw threads.

My LP is 1 3/4 inches thick at the bindings..it may fit, by the cover plate may be very

tight going on.

Archived