Gibson Brands Forums

I have a simple question, I need your input..

Ndbrown26

Hello fellow guitar players,

I started playing guitar back in 1996; I played continuously till about 2001, then i quit(because of college). Now, in 2008, I want to get back into it. You see, back in the day I played jackson and ibanez guitars. Now I've had a big change of heart. I want that Les Paul sound. I have heard some good and bad things about epiphones.

One thing that concerns me is that I've heard that epiphones DONT stay in tune very well. Is that true?

I plan on buying this guitar within 3 weeks from musiciansfriend.com:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

Is that a decent epiphone? Will it stay in tune if I do a lot of soloing? Will it have good sustain?

I appreciate your feedback,

Nathan =)

Whoa, freaky, my name's Nathan too, haha. The Plus Top is The best version of the Epi Standard (It's the same as the plain top, except for the flametop design.) I'm pretty sure that the tuners depend on which factory it comes from, I don't think that they have only one type of tuner in every factory. The sustain depends on the guitar but most are nice because they have the Set Neck. If it doesn't stay in tune, it's not horribly expensive to replace the tuners to Grovers or other tuners. As always, play one in a guitar shop before you buy. Or even better, play a friend's. Hope I helped.

I would say go for it, it is a very nice guitar. I have heard a few here comment on some Epi's not staying in tune, but they were the extremely low end ones. Personally, I have never had any problems with any of my guitars holding their tune. The Grover tuners they put on them are very good in my experience. I did change the tuners on 4 of my 5 Epi's, but not because the tuners were no good. I put Grover Vintage Green Keystones on because I just like the looks of them over the kidney Grovers that come stock on most Epis. I have 5 Epiphones and several other brands of guitars as well. I have owned very cheap guitars and some very expensive ones. I think it mainly has to do with how you string your guitar. If you string it right you won't have any problems.

I do a lot of soloing and I bend my strings a lot. After a solo I usually always check my tuning, especially if I used my virbrato and bent a lot of notes, and yes it will go out af tune a little, but that is normal. I have never had it go so far out of tune after a solo that I couldn't continue to play without tuning.

I have 2 Epiphone Les Pauls and a Gibson Les Paul and they all have pretty good sustain. I don't think you will be disappointed with a Standard. You might be dissapointed with Musiciansfriend though. A few here had some very bad experiences with them. I haven't, but others have. I just bought a Goldtop from Sweetwater and I am totally happy with it.

Altogether, counting elitists, I own 14 Epiphone electric guitars & I've never had a single problem with ANY of them not staying in tune. I hear a complaint or two about that, too, but I've never actually SEEN any Epi with that problem. One of my brothers has about 6 Epis, another brother has 3 or so & none of them have ever had any tuning problems, either, that I've ever heard of.

The Standard is a very decent guitar, as are the other Epi LPs with carved tops and set necks. (I don't consider the Specials or LP100's 'real' LPs). Just for grins, you might want to check the LP Classic Quilt Top MF is clearing out for $449. A very good Korean-made LP with lots of bling at a considerable discount from the one you're looking at. Pretty much the same guitar except a quilt veneer instead of sunburst. I've got one and I've also got a 'birdseye maple' (veneer-top) Epi LP Standard and they are very similar. Both great.

Iv'e had four of them.. they all stayed in tune.

some of the tuners weren't the best.. I like a higher ratio.

but I think the standards and plus top ship with grovers. which is what I put on when I don't like the others.

tulsa posted a good choice, too.. but the standard is fine!

Thanks for the replies guys' date='

I have another question: Do you have to string a les paul a certain way so it stays in tune? Someone told me you have to string them up a certain way.

thanks

:- [/quote']

No. Check out RotcanX and jerrymac in this thread. I have been stringing my guitar like jerrymac describes for 35 years and have never had a problem with any of my guitars.

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1432

When I received my LP standard plus with Korean Grovers, I was set on changing the tuners without even trying. Turns out they hold up pretty well. No, make that excellent. Knowing how to restring and proper nut setup is key tho. The occasional lube with a pencil and you're good.

I think most tuning problems stem from the way the strings are wrapped around the posts and the amount of pre-stretch the player does before expecting them to stay in tune. I've never had a guitar that wouldn't stay reasonably in tune, except for the time I had to tighten the neck screws in my Strat. MY Epi stays in tune nicely.

When I played heavy weekends (for 20 years) I used to change strings once a week and frequently right before a show. I'd install, stretch, tune and put it on a stand. Yes, I'd have to touch it up through the night, but that's just part of playing.

I just can't see a 'real' LP with a bolt-on neck. Just my opinion.

*chuckles*

i wish i had time to string up like that, i just wind down, neat, roughly 2,3,4,5,6,6ish times down the gauges, clip 'em and bend the clipped end down towards the headstock face with the pliers-end.. i take the string facing down in my palm and pull it up against my palm with my fingers until vigorous string bending no longer detunes the guitar (kill post slack), always stays rock solid even though done in a hurry with a string winder.

who cares if it's a 'real' lp anyway?

look. .if the guitar plays and sings the way you like. it's real enough.

everything else is a mere matter of taste.

I have no problem playing a sheraton which is certainly not, and never will be a 'real' anything but what it is.

I don't feel in anyway that I have less than a gibson335 player.

same with my epi lp studio. It plays/sounds the way I like. the rest is not important.

I pull the string through the peg tight. back it off about one inch or slightly less, loop it under so that when it winds around the post it

locks on the loop.. hit the string winder until it's reasonably tight.. snip the long end, or loop them in circles so I can look all '50's', then tune stretch tune stretch.

That's the quickest way I know that works.

and that's why I like grover locking tuners so much.. you just pull the string through and turn, snip off the string and stretch/tune.

fast!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I didn't mean to offend anybody with my LP100 comment. Just my opinion. I, too, own a couple Epi LP Studios (love 'em) and a couple 'regular' dot (love 'em, too). If you like your LP100, don't pay any attention to what a guy like me thinks about them. I have a Switch Wildfire that costed less than an LP100 & I love it, too.

You will never hear me rag on anybody because they play an inexpensive guitar. Quite the contrary. As for LPs, it's strictly a personal thing. I just think an LP should have a set neck. I certainly didn't mean to be condescending. If you like your LP100 or LP Special, by all means 'screw me'.

Yeah, I should clarify that. Sorta like 'Shame on You, shame on me'. Instead of 'Screw you' it's 'screw me'.

I feel bad that anybody would think I was trying to shame them about their guitar. As I said, if somebody likes their guitar, no matter what it is, it shouldn't matter what I or anybody else thinks about it.

I've heard guys on the Gib forum say they don't even consider a Gib LP studio to be a 'real LP'. That's hogwash. But for me, I guess personally I draw the line at the bolt-on. I do consider an Epi LP studio to be totally legit, though, since it is constructed to the specs of a Gibson (albiet a cheaper grade of wood & cheaper electronics).

Archived