Gibson Brands Forums

valve special vs galaxie 10

Hi all, I have a valve special I'm planning to pull apart and modify in an attempt to get it to sound better, before I do this though I've been given the opportunity to try out a galaxie 10 which I can swap for the valve special if I like.

I'm not that impressed with the galaxie 10 actually, both amps have some good points but more bad, and it seems although both have potential, either one will need a lot of work to sound good.

With this in mind I was hoping could someone advise me which of the 2 amps might be the better one to keep and mod? Volume is less of a consideration than tone, at the moment i'm biased towards the valve special as the build quality seems better and has a good sized chasis but would still most likely swap out the board and transformers (and that horrid DSP nonsense!) and replace with something like a supro board on that amp. Firstly I'm looking to see if I can just do some minor tweakages to which ever amp i keep, I actually have a 7.5 ohm output transformer left over from my modded version 2 VJ head i thought may be better than the silly little OT in the galaxie 10.

I'm most likely going with the valve special to mod at this stage but if anyone has any thoughts either way they'd be much appreciated, thanks.

If you're going to gut it eventually, go with the one that you like the looks best. I've done 3 simple mods to my Valve Standard - that I'm sure works with the Special - that has it sounding awesome. I couldn't be happier with the amp now. Extremely happy.

Actually, the mods are easily reversible - no parts were removed, I suggest you give it try on your Special and then decide.

Archived